From:
attanash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:04:12 -0000

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for ideas for birthday
treats that can be enjoyed by both a diabetic and a celiac child.  There
are some great ideas here!

- Make a jello cake using angel food cake, maybe made into cupcakes.
Prick holes into the cake with a toothpick and pour the sugar free
gelatine over it, then refrigerate.  That way you can cover all bases
since the angelfoods high protein content slows the sugar absorbtion.

- Make "rice crispy treats" from a gluten free cereal and use sugar free
marshmallows

- Stickers and blank post cards for the kids to create some art

- Jello layered with fruit and/or sugarfree whipped topping (I make my
own with artificial sweetners and heavy cream) with sprinkles in clear
plastic disposable party glasses.  Sugar-free gummy bears and other
candies embedded in the Jello are also fun or different colors of jello
in layers

- Replace the sugar in the birthday cake recipe with a sugar substitute
{he uses Splenda} . I don't know if the sugar substitutes are gluten
free or not though. if they are convert one of your gluten free recipes
to diabetic by doing the same thing

- Cheese and crackers with the cheese cut into festive shapes

- Sponge cupcakes from a sponge cake recipe in Bette Hagman's cookbook,
use sugar free pudding with whipped topping for the frosting. Decorate
with sprinkles.

- Strawberry Pretzel Jello with gf pretzels, cream cheese, cool whip,
butter, sugar substitute (email me if you want the recipe)

- Choco cake recipe that uses cocoa  (less goopy, lower in fat), use
conrstarch in place or flour.  It's one day...let the kid have a treat.
Ice cream is pretty good because it doesn't raise the blood sugar all
that drastically. {check out glycemic index]

- Try this website http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_08_200.htm

- One thing you could do with the Jell-O would be get some sugar-free,
gluten free whipped topping and put it in a decorator tube.  (Cool Whip
sells it in one now, though I don't know if the sugar free version comes
that way and also don't know the GF status of it.)  Let the kids put on
their own whipped topping. These same ideas can be used with ice cream
too.

- Trail mix?  Nuts and Raisins.

- Sugar free finger jello using your favorite cookie cutters or a jello
mold or Angel Food bundt pan. We used various flavors of jello.  You
start out with one box in your mold or pan and put it in the
refrigerator until it sets, then add another contrasting flavor/color
next and continue doing this until you have built up a rainbow jello
mold.

- For those of who are diabetic and celiac, there is a new cookbook out
by the American Diabetic Assoc--COOKING WITH THE DIABETIC CHEF by Chris
Smith.  Reicpes look great with a min  use of grains [easily substituted
or omitted] and artificial sweetners.

- Celophane treat bags and fill them with popcorn

- Sugar cookies or some type of cake or bar that only has granulated
sugar in it and use Twin sugar.  She claimed that this was the best
because it measured like real sugar.  I could never tell the difference
and as a kid I was very good as a test taste tester.

- Finger jello in fun shapes

- Special Diet Celebrations by Carol Fenster

 - Take two packages of jello and half the amount of water.  You can add
nuts and small pieces of fruit.  Grease with oil cup cake papers and set
in cup cake pan.  Fill each paper with jello and set in refrigerator.
Keep in refrigerator until serving time.  When time to serve, dob each
cup with cool whip.

- I have started to use stevia in my cooking.  It is available from
health food stores and is a natural sweetener that I am pretty sure is
safe for diabetics.

- At passover time we buy gf goodies (made with potato starch, not
matzah). Passover cookbooks have recipes.