From:
Laurie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:04:49 -0500

I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (so that makes 4 autoimmune disease - including celiac, Type 1 diabetes and hypothyroidism).

My dr. prescribed Bextra (Celebrex and Vioxx made me sick), prednisone, methotrexate and folic acid.  I was able to find out that the generic folic acid by Qualitest-Westward and the Bextra are GF but not the others.  The methotrexate is made by Barr Labs and I have emailed them and last night left a message for them but was hoping to start it this weekend since I'm not sure how I'll react and don't want to be sick during the week.  The prednisone is made by Roxane and I think I saw something that said it was GF.  I asked the pharmacy and they tried to help but did not have the information.

This has brought up another question for me.  Do you request brand names because it is easier to research their GF status?  I asked the pharmacist about putting allergic to gluten on my profile but of course if they don't have the information, they can't help me with that.  They said the allergy information is mostly for drug interactions.

Thanks in advance for your help, I will summarize.  I'm a little frustrated about trying to combine these drugs with my current ones.  The pharmacist suggested taking the Bextra and prednisone with food but not together, so with also taking calcium and vitamins with food, I'm going to have to eat all day to take pills!

Laurie
Illinois
dx with celiac 1/04, RA last week, Type 1 diabetes and hypothyroidism 30+ years ago.