Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:56:59 -0400

Folks:

Some time ago I posted a request for a source of commercially
available egg noodles.  Thanks to all who replied; some of you
requested that I post a summary of the information I received,
so here goes!

Let me first say that I was specifically looking for egg noodles!
I know of several suppliers of spaghetti, lasagne noodles, etc.,
(I get them from Ener G Foodss and Gluten Free Pantry) but these
just don't seem right for chicken soup!!!

Having said that, I sadly report that noone was able to tell me of
a commercially available supply.  Several kinds of noodles are
available from various sources, but they are NOT egg noodles.

thanks again,

Bob

Some excerpts from email I received:

From  Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>:

        Kinnikinnick Foods has a broad noodle, but it doesn't have
        egg in it. Tastes kind of gritty. They're at: 800-663-9551.

From [log in to unmask] (Patty Vollherbst):

        ...you can get dry pasta in various shapes in Healthfair
        in Little Silver - also can get frozen fettucine
        "Pastas by George" there.  Pastariso is the best brand
        I've found for dry pasta.  I can't remember if they have
        egg noodles but they have spirals, spaghetti, and elbows.

From: [log in to unmask]

        I really like the Bi-Aglut noodles that Dietary Specialties sells.
        Their phone number is 1-800-544-0099.

From Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>

        Does it have to be an *egg* noodle product?  Mrs. Leeper's
        Vegetable Rice Twists are very close to an egg noodle and
        are great with pot roast as  well as more Italian type sauces.
        Mrs. Leeper's also makes a great brownrice spaghetti and other
        pastas but those two are the only one's I've been able to get
        in my part of VA.

From:   Sandra J Leonard
        Editor: The Gluten-Free Baker Newsletter
        361 Cherrywood Drive
        Fairborn, OH 45324
        513/ 878-3221

(This response was quite comprehensive. With Sandra's permission,
I am inluding it in its entirety)

>Does anyone know of a commercially available gluten free egg noodle
>product?

I don't know of any gf egg noodle product as such but can tell you that if
you purchase PASTARIO (the brand name) fetuccini, break the fetuccini up
into small noodle lengths as you are putting it into the boiling water...it
is a good substitute.

Cook the pasta in LOTS of boiling water (directions for any brand) and add
salt if desired...NO OIL. Cook for the least amount of time given on the
package. Set a timer for this as time is critical. Start timer as soon as
all the pasta is in the water.  Test for doneness when timer goes off and if
not done to your liking at that time, keep testing every 30 seconds.  Drain
and rinse in HOT tap water.

>I have tried an Atlas pasta maker, but the dough shreds and sticks
>to the works; in the end, it is more work than "by hand".

Try making the pasta dough in the food processor.  Really works fast and is
very easy to do.
Think that maybe you are not going about using the Atlas machine the right
way. You do have to remember that our dough won't have any stretch. (Yes, I
do have an Atlas & I do use it...also have an extruding machine)  Divide the
dough into small working pieces (maybe 2 or 3 pieces).  Flour a dough piece
and roll it out using a rolling pin until it is slightly flattened.  (Rest
of dough should be covered well to keep from drying out.)

Set the pasta machine to the widest setting for rollers.  GENTLY pass the
dough through the first time. Make sure the dough is well floured.  It will
look a bit rough on the first pass.  If it starts breaking apart you may
need to use the rolling pin on it a bit more to flatten.  When turning the
crank for the first couple of times through, do it slowly, so the dough has
time to do a little stretching, keeping in mind our dough won't give much.

You may have to pass the dough through the first setting a time or two,
keeping it well floured. Go to next setting and gently pass though again.
You won't be able to go to the tigthest setting as the dough won't be able
to handle it....1 or 2 settings from the tightest is about it for GF dough.

You may find that the dough is getting a bit long after a couple of passes
through, I suggest that you cut it down to 5-6" lengths to keep it from
breaking, go shorter lengths if you are more comfortable with that.  Cut
into noodle sizes you desire.
ENJOY!

NOTE:  I tend to do each step to all the dough...I roll out all the small
pieces with the rolling pin first, pass each one through widest setting next
etc. I just protect the dough from drying out with a very large piece of
plastic laid over it.  I like the feeling of all the dough being at the same
stage when I'm making it.
I make 'killer ravoli' using the above method using the Atlas to roll the
dough strips out.  I don't use stripes as long as the ravioli press form
though...only about half the length of the form.  It is too risky working
with GF pasta dough trying to get long lengths of dough, no stretch and
breaks easily...working shorter lengths makes just as many ravioli but
without the stress for me.

The above comes from many years of experimenting and testing.  Hope you will
find these tips and hints helpful to you.  Know the pasta is worth the extra
effort.  After you do it a time or two, you will start to feel comfortable
doing it and it will go better.

>Has anyone had any experience with the pasta machines that
>"extrude" the dough into various shapes?  I hesitate to
>invest in yet another piece of equipment without some assurance
>of success.

Yes, I have 'tested' about 4 of these machines...the one that I could
recommend as working the best with GF flours is the "PASTA EXPRESS" machine.
They go on sale frequently just watch the ads for the best prices.

It does take some experimenting also...no machine can you just throw in gf
flours and expect a perfect product to come out okay.  This machine too does
take a bit of working with to get a good pasta.
Tip: the dough needs to be mixed very well.  If you allow machine time to
mix the ingredients well to start with, a better end product will be turned
out.
Most of the above machines come with a video...watch it carefully as the
look to the dough should be just  like it shows on the video.  Their how to
manual also gives a good description and sketch.

Always soak the die in hot tap water before using. Always coat the back of
it with oil before putting on the machine and extruding.  This will mean
that a die is needed on machine to mix dough, remove that die when ready to
extrude, put the heated, oiled die in place and then go to extruding.
Tip: The first minute or so of dough being extruded should be taken and put
back into the work bowl of the machine as pasta takes about that long before
it starts to extrude the best it can.
Notes:
- It is best to cut the pasta into short lengths as it too won't hold up to
long, heavy lengths as doesn't have the 'give' and strech that regular pasta
has.
- Don't place the extruded pasta on top of each other...the weight will
crush the pasta below it.  I use a very large pizza pan as my 'catcher'
under the extruding area.  I catch the pasta and gently handle it after
being cut, by putting it on the pizza pan, turning the pizza pan as needed.
Cover the pizza pan right away when done with plastic to keep dough from
drying out.  I find that it does better if it can be refrigerated this way
until I am ready to cook it.  I like to make my pasta in the morning first
thing and refrigerate it until ready to cook for the evening meal.  Seems to
be a bit better...not sure why.
Pasta may be flash frozen right on the pizza pan and after frozen, moved to
storage containers. Must be cooked frozen later.
- Don't drain the pasta by pouring all the water out in a colander as it
will crush the pasta...it is very delicate. I use a a large 'chinese web
hand strainer' to lift it from the boiling water into a colander...do only
small amounts at a time. I rinse with hot water and then using another
colander, I do another small amount the same way.  The pasta will easily
turn to mush if you do it the normal way.

I have found that  no GF pasta stands up to 'angel hair' thin...just turns
to mush and dissolves or breaks apart with any recipe that I have tried and
tested to date.

Sure hope that this post gives you some courage to try your Atlas machine
one more time!  Also gives some insight to making gf pasta using an
extruding machine.