From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:35:15 -0800

I got the book "Wheat-Free Worry-Free" by Danna Korn.  She has a section
on this.  She said a disaccharide intolerance is a manifestation of
carbohydrate malabsorption.  Disaccharides are sugars that include
lactose(milk sugar), sucrose (well known as table sugar and syrups), and
maltose (a near-fully digested sugar from starch, such as bread).  The
corresponding enzymes lactase, sucrase, and maltase are required for
digesting each of these disaccharides/sugars.  When these enzymes are
absent or lacking, you develop varying degrees of disaccharide
intolerance.

The part of the villi in which these enzymes are located influences
tolerance of the different disaccharides.  Lactase is stored in the tips
of the villi, while sucrase is located in the center, and maltase is at
the base.  The more extensive your villous atrophy, the more likely you
are to experience disaccharide intolerance involving all of the sugars.
In most cases, newly diagnosed gluten-sensitive, gluten-intolerant, and
celiac individuals have some degree of lactose intolerance that, for
many, is transient and will improve or resolve after the intestine heals.

If you experience any one of these intolerances, the disaccharide passes
through the small and large intestines undigested.  It absorbs water and
undergoes fermentation, ultimately resulting in diarrhea, nausea,
gas/flatulence, bloating/abdominal distention, and/or abdominal pain.
These intolerances mimic orotherwise can worsen gastrointestinal symptoms
caused by wheat allergy, gluten sensitivity, gluten intolerance, and
celiac
disease.

That's her quote!  Anyway, I'm thinking that if the maltase is at the
base of the villi, maybe that is the most important to start with, so
healing can get underway at the bottom.  Of course, the sugar and milk
would still be a problem until further healing occurs.  But from what she
says, there is hope that as the healing progresses, you could conceivably
start back with starches first, then sugar, then milk.

I may have to bite the bullet and go starch free.  At least I know it
won't be forever.   Shirley
---------------------
I don't think I  have low stomach acid... I have acid reflux.

[Contrary to popular opinion (mostly generated by pharmaceutical
companies eager to turn a profit, acid reflux is a almost always a sure
sign of LOW stomach acid!  Low stomach acid actually causes acid reflux.
This is explained in the book, WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU, by
Jonathan Wright MD.  I know he is right & his protocol works because I
have recovered from acid reflux by following his protocol.  His protocol
also helped me get rid fo diarrhea, candida, constipation, bloating &
gas.  What a relief!]

> What do you feel when you have low stomach acid?

[Heartburn, stomach ache, abdominal pain, gas bloating, fatigue, etc.]

I have never looked into it because I have to take meds to control the
acid refux, so I have always assumed that's not my problem....

Acid suppressing medications such a Zantac, Prilosec, TUMS, Nexium
actually make the problem worse.  The sooner one can get off these, the
better.

Who knows! I have always been somewhat of an alternative medicine
skeptic.

[I'm an RN, so I was a sceptic for a long time, too.  But after
conventional medicine completely failed to make me anything but worse, I
turned to alternative medicine & it's the only thing that has helped me.]
-----------------------------
I never took any medications to get rid of it [vaginal candida]...always
tried natural stuff.  A colon cleanse (capsules) really helped...nothing
would sit for long in my colon w/ that but it was very mild.  As soon as
I went off it the [vaginal/rectal] itching returned:(  the thing that got
it to go away for good (and then soon after I went slowly gf) was the
vitamin regimen and supplements that the naturopath prescribed.  Did I
tell you that?  The Biocidin (enzyme) really seemed to do the trick, she
also prescribed extra zinc, A, selenium, B12.  Funny, those are all the
things I hear are helpful when newly diagnosed w/ CD.

I always asked the doc about the connection between my atypical squamous
(sp?) cells and "bad" paps and they always brushed it off and said here,
take this for the candida (which they rarely cultured for) and here, let
us take a chunk out of your cervix to check for cancerous cells.  I asked
if that wouldn't have negative effects over time to keep taking chunks
out of my cervix and they said, they doubted it.  Well, finally I told
the gyn....no touching...listen to this.  I told him all about Celiac
disease and he listened in half doubt till I quoted the NEJM article,
Jan. 17, line and verse and page (my husband calls me the Celiac
Evangelist:).  He said...well, lets not do anything this time and see how
you are after you've been gf.  Ha!  I've had no trouble at all since.
Viola!  We aren't so ignorant after all, are we, the owners of our
bodies!!!!  I'm glad to hear of the common thread.  Thanks!
I NOW TAKE NUZYMES FOR MY STOMACH AND IT HAS REALLY HELPED WITH
DIGESTION...DR. PINKUS, ON LINE HAS THEM AND WE USE THE REST FROM THE
GNC....

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com