Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 19:10:32 -0400

Here is a compilation of the responses I got.  These are individual's
opinions based on their experiences.  Use this list at your own
discretion.

1.	I just returned from the Lancaster area; very modern area (which
surprised me since it is in Amish country). They have every restaurant
imaginable (except for PF Chang's or Pei Wei). Chili's and Outback are
available (both have gluten free menus); I ate at Longhorn Steakhouse
and while they did not have a gluten free menu, the waitress was
familiar with my limitations, checked with the cooks, and assured that
my steak would be prepared on foil on the grill as not to
cross-contaminate. I did not explore much with local Amish-type
restaurants due to many flour containing meals (gravies and breaded
food).

2.	We can absolutely accommodate a gluten free meal!  Please just
inform your server when seated and they will help you with whatever you
need.  We look forward to seeing you this weekend!

Kristen Hottenstein
The Olde Greenfield Inn
595 Greenfield Road
Lancaster, PA 17601
717-393-0668

3.	There are many places to eat in Lancaster....along the main
highway there are lots of options. We stayed at (I think it was called)
Lancaster Inn and they were great in the restaurant there.

One of the fun things to do is to go to a smorgasboard kind of
meal...which we know is dangerous for celiacs...well, Miller's was
great. They told my daughter which foods were safe for her, then they
served her portions from the back...where it was uncontaminated by other
patrons! The rest of the family ate from the buffet and it was
delicious.
4.	Over 4th of July we ate at the Iron House in Strasburg because
the place we were planning to eat was closed. They were knowledgeable; a
local patron cannot eat gluten. I called ahead to inquire about a few
menu items and spoke with the owner.
http://www.strasburgpa.com/business_pages/iron_horse.asp

5.	There is an Outback and a Carraba's on Oregon Pike in Lancaster
that are great about GF dining. We brought our own stuff and cooked in
the hotel suite for the rest of our meals, but those were our "meals
out."

Also, if you can make a small side trip to Dillsburg (maybe 15-20
minutes further?), there is a *fabulous* shop called "The Gluten-free
Source" that is an entire store dedicated to GF items. Really great
people and a super selection! http://www.glutenfreesource.com/

6.	My only experience with Manheim specifically was a farmer's
market earlier this summer where I enjoyed a nice burger off of a bun
and fries since they didn't fry anything else in the stand.  Most Amish
and Mennonite cooking is "safe" from a visual standpoint - if you can
see what's in it, that's usually all that's in it.  Lots of plain
cooking - meat and veggies.  My family goes a little east of Lancaster
city a couple of times each year and we do well in the family run
buffets and restaurants.  Shopping is probably going to be a little
harder as stores are spread fairly thin and you'll need to hit the major
towns to find the big grocery stores.  Elizabethtown is said to have a
decent sized grocery store these days.

7.	There is a health food store in Wyomissing in the Berkshire Mall
West.  They have a good selection of GF items.  Be wary of the info
provided by their staff.  On both our visits, we were given
misinformation by employees trying to be helpful.  Also, they claim that
their food counter can prepare GF items but they have NO IDEA about
cross contamination or for that matter GF status.  Our first attempt at
a GF wrap resulted in us being served a spelt wrap.  Our second attempt
we turned down after we watched them use the common containers for
condiments.  Based on our dining experience there, I would avoid eating
there.

8.	They have Wal Marts which carry some GF items.  There other
markets carry mostly mainstream items so you can look for brands that
always declare such as Kraft, Con Agra, etc.

*******
*******