From:
Martha Olsen Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 01:21:24 EDT

I am a celiac...  or should I say I was diagnosed with Gluten
Enteropathy...  my gastroenterologist very politely told me 3yrs ago that
he did not care "what" I called it as long as I NEVER went off the
GFdiet.  It has taken a lot of work and a lot of different doctors to get
all of my questions answered, but I thought some of you could benefit
from this list of foods I was given when I first started my education
into this world of celiac and food allergies!!  Our three children are on
the Gf diet with me.

Our Pediatric Allergist told me these are the foods most likely to cause
problems:

GLUTEN (wheat, oats, rye, barley)
SOY (ALL FORMS!)
MILK (LACTOSE & CASEIN!)
EGGS
CORN
LEGUMES
PEANUTS                                  (SOMETIMES FISH)

I was told and have learned that some of these items cannot be
tolerated...  Some can be eaten on a rotation diet...  Some can be
tolerated, but not if  combined with another on the list within a four
day span.  Food allergies and/or intolerances are the hardest to figure
out.  The medical testing is very EXPENSIVE and TIME CONSUMING.  It can
be done at home with A LOT of hard work, time, and patience.  Any food
consumed  takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 or 4 days for an
"immediate" reaction...  allergic OR intolerant.  It took me 2 YEARS to
figure out the food reactions for myself and my 3 children....   it was
worth it.   Our worst reactions were:  skin irritations (DH or Exema? we
did not do lab tests), migraine headaches (to the point of passing out),
hives, IBS, osteo arthritis, fibromyalgia, hair loss, weight/muscle loss
(yes, malabsorbtion!), hyperactivity, neurological problems,  muscle
pain, back pain, lots of stomach aches, mucosal problems (sinus, ear, and
bronchial infections), low grade fevers - flu symptoms, leg pain ( I was
told it was growing pains when I was a kid - I didn't believe it then,
and, for some strange reason my kids "growing pains" went away within a
month of being on the GF diet), sleeping problems (tossing, turning,
broken sleep, unable 'to go to sleep',teeth grinding while sleeping,
unable to take naps, OR extremely sleepy and hard to wake up (there never
seemed to be a happy medium), lack of attention span in school - when I
changed the kids diet I had teachers calling me, "what medication is your
child on?".  All advanced noticeably in school.
Different foods cause different reactions with us....   corn will make my
joints and muscles ache....  it will give my son a migraine headache....
 it does not bother my other two children...  this is the hardest for me
to understand...  there seems to be no rhyme or reason....  each person
has their own allergy/intolerance and reaction.

Gastrocrom - oral concentrate
My sister (worse than the 4 of us put together!!) has been on Gastrocrom
for the approximately 6 months.  It was tried on her in the past, but the
medication contained corn and/or lactose (which she was
allergic/intolerant to!).  Now, there is a new form that has no
additives...  My sister is in heaven...  she can eat again.  Gastrocrom
will not work on food intolerances, only on food allergies...  she is
still unable to eat Gluten or any milk products.  My sister, like me,
kept a "food log" (a daily log of what you eat, how you feel -
emotionally, and how you feel - physically... this is done for
weeks/months)  with this information, her doctor didn't feel the time
and/or expense of food testing would tell him more than what she had
already figured out.

hope this helps...  Martha