From:
Katie Chalmers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Chalmers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:50:39 -0700

Here are the responses I received in regards to my question about whether or not

it is necessary for Celiacs to stop using Bath & Body Works hand sanitizers.....

1) “I use the B&B works everyday with no reactions”

2) “Most people with celiac can touch wheat products with no adverse affect
whatsoever. You cannot absorb it through your skin. If wheat causes our skin to
break out, you most likely have a topical allergic reaction to it.”

3) “I have DH, and I have to be extremely careful about what I put on my
body...  When I first went GF I didn't have a problems with those external
things.  But suddenly I had a major problem and I completely ransacked my
kitchen looking for the source.  It took me a little while to figure out it was
mainly my makeup and shampoo/conditioner that I used daily.  I have been GF for
almost two decades now. But in your case, I wouldn't worry about it.”

4) One respondant said she is going to get rid of all of hers, knowing now that
they contain gluten.

5) “You are ingesting the hand sanitizers, even if you do not lick your hands.
The alcohol in the sanitizer is what evaporates, not the "wheat amino acids" -
i.e. gluten - they leave a residue. The next time you touch food, or utensils or

your lips, you are ingesting trace amounts of that residue. I can not say
whether the amount is enough to do you harm, but think about this: using "hand
sanitizers" rather than washing with soap and water is contributing to the rise
of anti-biotic resistant bacteria, and long run they will do you and the
environment more harm than good. As for reacting to topical wheat: I didn't for
the first 3 years after diagnosis. But after I had completely eliminated gluten
from my diet, I gradually became sensitive to wheat/gluten in lotions, make-up,
soap, etc. and now get a painful rash wherever the gluten came in contact with
my skin. I don't have DH, and I'm not one of the supersensitive celiacs. In our
local support group, the number of people reacting to skin contact with wheat is

slowly increasing. Why take that risk?”

6) “I have the skin version of celiac (dermetitis herpetiformis)... I have used
the Bath and Body hand sanitizers without any reaction... I have been told that
if you don't ingest the gluten, you shouldn't have a problem...”

My summary: As you can see, the above responses were based on personal opinion.
I did not receive any scientific proof either way, and I have yet to find any of

my own. If anyone knows of links to such info., please post. Thanks.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

RE: Cadbury cream eggs and if they are GF:

Someone sent this link:
http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/cadbury/creme-egg-candy.aspx#/1824
CADBURY CRÈME EGG Candy
Ingredients
MILK CHOCOLATE ( SUGAR; MILK; CHOCOLATE; COCOA BUTTER; MILK FAT; NONFAT MILK;
SOY LECITHIN; NATURAL AND ARTFICIAL FLAVORS ); SUGAR; CORN SYRUP; HIGH FRUCTOSE
CORN SYRUP; CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: ARTI FICIAL COLOR ( YELLOW 6 ) ; ARTIFICIAL
FLAVOR; CALCIUM CHLORIDE; EGG WHITES
ALLERGY INFORMATION: MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT ALSO PROCESSES PEANUTS AND
TREE NUTS.

Here are other responses:
1) “Cadbury Cream Eggs & Cadbury Mini Eggs are both GF.  :)  We eat them all the

time!  YUM!”

2) “The Cadbury eggs I saw just a few days ago did NOT have wheat listed in the
ingredients. And as she said in her entry, when wheat was involved it was so
highly processed as part of the syrup it was OK.”

So, apparently this product is currently GF. I’ve read on a few blogs that they
have

changed their ingredients for the Cadbury Cream eggs over the years, so if
you’ve found this post after 3/21/11, I would check ingredients again for
yourself....

THANKS.

*******
*******