From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:35:34 EDT

I would like to thank Julie Linton for her efforts in compiling the
list of GF foods and recipes from the replies she got.  I think much of
it will be helpful for those with celiac kids.  However, I also want
to echo Karin's concerns about some of the items on the list. In
particular, the list of cereals has several items which are generally
NOT considered to be gluten-free.  Here is the list from Julie's post:

> Rice Chex
> Corn Flakes
> Corn pops
> Hot rice mixed up like oatmeal
> Puffed rice
> Fruity pebbles
> Cocoa Pebbles
> DON'T use Rice Krispies
> corn pops
> check on alpha bits and honeycomb (some celiacs can eat them)

Many of these cereals contain malt flavoring.  It is my understanding
that in the US malt flavoring used in cereals comes from barley.  So it
seems clear to me that you must avoid cereals which use malt flavoring.
(In fact, that is precisely the reason you should not use Rice Krispies;
I believe that otherwise the ingredients may be okay.)  This would cross
Rice Chex and most brands of Corn Flakes off of the lists.

I believe that Alpha Bits and Honeycomb contain oats.  There have been
several discussions about whether or not oats are okay to eat.  To my
knowledge, all the studies to date on this question have been done with
ADULTS, so that I would not advise giving oats to celiac children.
Also, the statement "some celiacs can eat them" suggests that this was
determined by trying them and seeing if there is a reaction.  I do NOT
advocate determining what is safe by this method; many celiacs don't
have an immediate reaction to gluten, but none-the-less sustain damage
in the small intestine.  This can lead to long-term problems if it
happens regularly.

Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are made by General Mills, which has
advised celiacs to avoid all their products due to cross-contamination
issues.  I think they are probably taking the "easy way out" with
regard to many of their products, but with their cereals I think this
could be a real issue.

Finally, Corn Pops (in the US) are no longer made on their own dedicated
line, so there is some potential for cross-contamination from the other
cereals that are made on the same line.  You'll have to decide for
yourself whether or not this would be enough of a problem to avoid this
cereal.

--
-- Jim Lyles ................... Home: [log in to unmask]
-- Holly, Michigan, USA ........ Work: [log in to unmask]