From:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:23:06 -0700

I received some helpful responses, and it clarified the fact that even though at least two of my three kids do have celiac, the breast feeding really protected them as infants. Also, their cases of celiac, though noticeable as child and teen; they have not been severe or debilitating.

joy!
Mary
California

Studies have only demonstrated conclusively that breastfeeding prevents the infantile form of CD.  Ideally breastmilk only until 10-12 months.  I don't recall seeing anything on breastfeeding in adult onset CD.

David

Breast feeding will not prevent celiac disease, because celiac disease is
genetic.

However, breast feeding is the best you can do for your baby.  Delaying the
grains is
best for the baby.  You can always use rice cereal.

Either you have the gene for celiac disease or you don't, there is nothing
you can do about it.  It is in your genetic make-up.

Mitzi in Michigan