Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:52:27 -0500

Seeing several posts regarding wine in the past week and wanted to add my
2 cents.

I work for a small family owned "boutique" winery in California and have
been studying and traveling for wine for over 10 years.  While I am not a
winemaker where I work, I am a home winemaker.  [My job is marketing, PR
and sales].  I drink wine daily and typically purchase wines from small
family owned places rather than the big corporations [those that are
typically distributed throughout the states].  I am by no means an expert
in how all wines are made, but wanted to share my experiences.

Wines that are fortified (some California "Ports" for instance) may
have "high proof" added which can be grain based.  It is supposed to be
grape based, but there's always that chance.  [I personally stay away from
port and all fortified wines.]

When a particular wine requires fining, many wineries use either bentonite
or egg whites as the fining agent.  Many wineries don't fine but filter
their wines.  I did a quick survey of some of the local wineries and no
one used any gluten containing products in their wines.

HOWEVER!  I did find out that manufacturers of wine barrels will
occassionally use flour to seal up tiny gaps between the barrel staves...
sort of like using talcum powder on a squeaky wood floor.  The winemaker
where I work said he has on occassion used a small amount of flour mixed
with water as a glue on his barrels.  Now, a barrel will hold about 25
cases of wine. That's 300 bottles or 1800 glasses of wine for about a
tablespoon of flour.

A winery may have 2 or 200 or even 2,000 barrels of the same wine.  Before
it's all bottled, it usually is mixed together in a tank so all the wine
is consistent.  So that tablespoon of flour could be distributed among
many many more cases than just the one barrel.

Everyone must make their own decisions regarding their health and what
they will eat and drink.  For me, I will continue to enjoy wine.