From:
Mary Jean DeMarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:42:40 -0500

I need  help!  I am a 66-year-old woman who was diagnosed (biopsy and
blood tests both) last October.  Unfortunately, I had a couple of
long trips planned, one in October-November and the other in January.
Therefore, although I tried hard, I couldn't manage a reliably
GF  diet until the month of December and then again after I got home
in mid January.  My symptoms (mainly persistent diarrhea) did  not
subside  during December and my gastroenterologist was heard to
mutter "intractable sprue" (but he is not experienced with CD
patients, since I'm only the third he has seen, and he's quite up
front about being no expect--and the results of blood tests then
convinced him that I was following the diet).
    Anyway, when I was home again in  mid January, I really
concentrated on it and about the first of March my symptoms became
markedly better--no gas or bloating, no diarrhea, stools a bit soft
but otherwise okay.  That lasted through March  until I went off to a
conference from March  30 to April 4, and I really worked hard there
trying to be  sure all my food was GF--but the diarrhea returned. I
have no idea what caused it.  All  through April since then, I have
been super careful but the diarrhea continues.
    I've been reading on the list the last couple of days that
healing sometimes takes two years--but my gastro thinks symptoms
should get better in three days, and that has definitely not been my
experience.  Can  anyone make any suggestions or offer any help or
comfort??  I know many people have had much worse experiences than I
have,  but I'm really beginning to feel  desperate!  Cheers--and
thanks in  advance for any help--Mary Jean

            Mary Jean DeMarr <[log in to unmask]>