From:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:25:32 -0500

I was on a Carnival Cruise in Sept and they were very accommodating,
though I did bring some of my own foods onboard.  When I spoke to the
special guest services dept. they told me that not every carnival
cruise ship has the same GF products onboard and they couldn't tell
me what my ship would have so it was better for me to bring whatever
I wanted.  They said if I wanted to bring a cake mix they would
gladly make it as well as pancake mix etc.  I just brought my own
rolls, pasta and cereal and of course little snack foods like
pretzels.  When I boarded the ship I went straight to the dining room
to meet with the staff and they said it was not going to be a problem
and each night I ordered the next days meals.  I will say that no
matter what paperwork you fill out ahead of time, it has no bearing
on the first night on the ship as they did their best to accommodate
with no warning.   My visit to the dining room was like it was the
first time they were hearing from me.  So the first night I had to
settle for something more bland but for the rest of the cruise they
were just great....if there wasn't anything on the menu that could be
made GF or that I liked, then they made me whatever  I
wanted..including dessert.

Back in 2004 I went on Celebrity one month after being Dx and they
were great too.  I was naive then and just brought some basics with
me but every night they had bread for me and again I ordered my next
days meals the night before.  I am a huge fan of creme brulee so they
made it for me any night I wanted.  When we boarded we all went to
the big buffet and there was nothing I could eat so I asked them for
plain turkey from the back without gravy and they were very very
accommodating.  Enjoy your cruise

I was on RC’s Rhapsody and they only baked
the same corn bread every day.

We were on Explorer of the Seas. But, before we went, I heard from
others that most of the
ships will do this on Royal Caribbean. We had corn bread once or
twice. 3 different
types of muffins almost all the days in addition to either the corn
bread or a white bread
that was even better than the Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakery Sandwich
bread. I brought
baggies to the dining room every day and I brought the extra back to
the cabin for the
kids if they needed a snack or something or were going on an
excursion. but, they seemed to do this every week. Maybe the bigger
ships are better equipped for this?

We have 2 kids with celiac (a 2 year old and a 4 year old) and were
not interested in cruises (in general and because of the celiac
issues).  But, my family looked into it and really wanted to do a big
family gathering on a cruise and they did some research and then I
did research and anyway—we went on Royal Caribbean (Explorer of the
Seas).  So, being the worried Mom that I am, I actually packed a bag
of gluten free food to bring on board such as snacks and stuff like
that.  Well, the experience was fantastic for food for the kids.  I
sent an email to their special gluten-free email address and my
kid’s names were added to the allergy/kosher/special foods list.
Then, when we got on board, I went to the dining room and met with
the head waiter for a few minutes and looked over the menu for that
evening and ordered their food.  They are willing to try and make
anything gluten free. They truly understand cross contamination
issues. My daughter is extremely sensitive and had no issues at all.
You just have to order the food the evening before the all the meals
the next day and they prepare them in separate pans and everything.
They told me that they have celiacs on every cruise almost on Royal
Caribbean every week so they understand how to do it.  And, some days
I ordered room service the day before for a meal and that was easy too.
Every day they cooked fresh gluten free muffins and bread and would
bring it to the table for every meal for the kids.  And, these
muffins and breads seemed better to us than whole foods or any other
bought breads. My kids had French toast every morning and eggs and
the muffins and were really happy kids.  And, I would bring Ziploc
bags to every meal and pack up the extra breads and muffins to have
in the room for snacks for the kids.

So, we had some other issues with the cruise, such as change of
itinerary and excursions, but, we are already planning another cruise
even though we don’t like cruises in general (we like to hike) we
found the food situation and the friendly and excellent customer
service we received on the ship—this was the easiest gluten-free
traveling we have ever done.  And, I will not bring a whole suitcase
of food—just a few snacks for the kids next time.

There were no gluten free deserts, but, I had baked gluten free
brownies before we went and brought those, M&Ms, and lollipops and
the kids were really happy. They told me that they could try and make
some gluten free desert if there were something they wanted, but,
really my kids don’t care about that stuff and it was easier for us
to just bring a little treat up to dinner for them.

I would check www.bobandruths.com  They have all kinds of vacations,
which are GF.  If you don't find what you are looking for, email them
and ask.

I'm going on the Carnival Legend in two weeks. When I did my pre-
check-in I checked out the special needs link and found  "Gluten
Free" on their list of diets that they can accommodate.  I have also
been on Royal Caribbean who did a very good job of accommodating me
and I even gained a few pounds.   At most island ports you will found
some familiar fast food and chain restaurants. As with all dining
away from home exercise your judgment and common sense.  Expect to
have good eats and lots of fun.

The Disney cruise line prides them on providing foods for people with
special dietary needs.

I just returned home today from a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas.  I
informed them before hand and they took the time to speak with me and
make arrangements.    In the dining room they were all ready for me
with my gf options and there were quite a few!
They only thing they couldn't help me with before hand was the
buffets they had all over the ship all the time.

But before going to any one of them I talked with the kitchen crew
and/or cook/chef and they were very helpful!  Most things on a buffet
are self explanatory like baked potatoes and cheese and lettuce etc
but I ALWAYS checked and I always got an answer.  I DID NOT go
hungry!  Trust me!!

Margie R
In South Central PA...on the Mason Dixon Line

*******
*******