From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 1994 22:55:27 GMT

On 11/25/94 at 5:26 PM, Barbara wrote:

SC-Wa> 1.  What foods contain casein?  Some information says all dairy
SC-Wa> contains casein; some says that milk has casein and cream

I wish there were casein-free support groups like celiac support groups!  If
anyone knows of a resource on casein free diets, please let us know.

In my own personal research, I had felt satisfied that clarified butter
(ghee) has no casein.  I had spoken  with the President of Purity Farms,
which makes ghee.

However, US celiac groups warn that  wheat starch, which supposedly has the
protein removed, is NOT safe for celiacs.  (The national celiac group in
England disagrees, I'm told).  If wheat starch is not safe, perhaps ghee has
residual casein.  Anyone have an idea on how to find out?

SC-Wa> 4.  Are there any seasonings that can substitute for soy sauce?

Some health food stores carry wheat-free soy sauce.

Bill Elkus