Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:00:04 -0500

Hi All--

Some nice listmember recently asked for suggestions from all of us for
places to eat when we're out and about and don't have GF food with us. One
of the places she noted in her summary was Arby's. I never think of Arby's,
but decided to take a look at their web site. Lots of things we can eat -
maybe. I was interested in the Homestyle Fries and Potato Cakes because that
type of item (fried potatoes) always seems to be an issue everywhere. On
their allergen listing of food, Homestyle Fries and Potato Cakes were wheat
and gluten free.

http://www.arbys.com/nutrition/printable.php?type=allergens

I wrote Arby's and specifically asked if the fries and potato cakes were
prepared in a dedicated fryer. This was the response I received...

_____

Thank you for your interest in Arby's and for considering our menu as
something that might help you or your family meet their dietary needs.  Listed
below are our menu items that are Gluten Free:

-           Proteins, without bread or buns:  roast beef, ham, turkey,
corned beef and Grilled Chicken Fillet. ([Breaded chicken fillet and tenders
and the diced-Grilled Chicken on some of our salads are not Gluten Free).

-           Cheeses, natural and processed

-           Peppered bacon

-           Baked potatoes only – plain, or with butter and other Gluten
Free condiments.  About 10% of our restaurants offer baked potatoes.

-           Fresh Fruit Cup

-           Milkshakes

*Our potato products are cooked in the restaurant and they may share
fryer-space with wheat flour-based coated items so they should be considered
as not gluten free.*

Our Company has disclosed our menu product ingredients and these may be
found at our website www.arbys.com in the Nutrition section.

In order to find the ingredients you should select Nutrition on the Home
Page, select a product, then select the arrow or triangle next to the
product name to view the ingredients and allergen.  There is a printable
ingredients list (a PDF format) that can be accessed from the first page of
the nutrition section.   You will need to remember to print this often
because the ingredients change from time to time (also the menu items).

 The nutrition and ingredient facts on the website are identical to those
you will be offered in our restaurants.  The stores are not allowed to do
otherwise, as part of their License agreement. Some stores may offer menu
items as part of a local option or market test; those foods would not
necessarily be represented on the website.

Thanks for thinking Arby's.

_____

It was a nice response and very prompt. But what's on the allergen listing
on their website is not the same as what I was told when I double checked.
I'm not trashing Arby's. I did this little experiment to see if we could
perhaps begin to trust what's up on restaurants' web sites. Not so much, I
guess -- still.  So keep double checking...  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******