From:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:39:05 -0600

Hello everyone,

I am posting this as follow-up to my original recipe posting.

I have received a response today and also a few years back about the paraffin in recipes. I did some research online and confirmed that while paraffin is not categorized as a consumable (because it is rather intended for packaging food like pickles, TV dinner boxes, etc), it has been evaluated by the FDA and determined to be non-toxic. In fact, paraffin touches the food when used in packaging, and that is why the FDA saw fit to evalutate it.

My grandma has been making Christmas cookies with paraffin since I was a little girl, to no known detriment. But it is certainly a topic that we should openly discuss if concerns exist. I have heard that special chocolates exist that will harden in a similar way, so perhaps you might use these. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find these variants. If anyone knows, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you, Susie, for your email. Perhaps these points will promote some thoughtful conversation about paraffin from which we can all learn. :)

Regards,
Teresa