From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:07:08 -0400

Hi Listmates, about a week ago, I sent a post about my experiencing
recurrent diarrhea and shared my frustration in dealing with it.  I was
overwhelmed with the support of 25 replies!  Thank you all for the
wonderful support!  Here's the summary:
...Mildred O.

WEB SITES:
Leaky Gut Syndromes: Breaking the Vicious Cycle - HealthWorld Online
http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/galland/Leakygut.htm
-------------------------
http://ibscrohns.about.com/health/ibscrohns/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=
http://www.gastro.net.au/diseases/microscopiccolitis.html
-------------------------
you might want to get a comprehensive stool analysis test - more info:
http://www.gsdl.com/assessments/cdsa/index.html
-------------------------
I had mega food problems which I am still working out but much improved
when I learned about  amine and salicylate intolerance.   Check out:
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~sdengate/>
-------------------------
http://www.delphi.com/celiac
http://www.csaceliacs.org/
-------------------------
Have your doctor check for microscopic colitis, which can be associated
with celiac.
http://www.finerhealth.com/Educational_Info/Microscopic_Colitis
-------------------------
www.celiac.com
Scroll down the table of contents to an article: "Celiac in the 90s and
Beyond".  This is by Dr. Murray.  In the 4th.paragraph from the end are his
recommendations.....

    recheck the diagnosis
    look for enzyme supplements
    check pancreatic problems, lymphoma, etc.
==================================

BOOKS/ARTICLES
Leaky Gut Syndromes: Breaking the Vicious Cycle
(c) 1995, Leo Galland, M.D., F.A.C.N. (I have a copy.  Let me know if you'd
like a copy, and I'll fax it to you.)

 Intestinal Permeability by Simon Martin
First published in BioMed Newsletter Issue No. 11, May 1995.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle.  I found the reason for my diarrhea:
carbohydrates (even gluten free).
====================================
ON HIDDEN GLUTENS:
An "identical" prescription that the manufacturer told me was GF.  No more
generics for me
-------------------------
Have you checked all your medications?  Are you using canola oil, white
vinegar or products that contain vinegar, balsamic vinegar that is cut with
white vinegar?  Stay away from Pam, certain margarines, etc.
=====================================
ON NON-CELIAC CAUSES:

*get a comprehensive stool analysis test

*Infection

*Microscopic colitis
<http://ibscrohns.about.com/health/ibscrohns/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=
http://www.gastro.net.au/diseases/microscopiccolitis.html>

*A parasite.  A common parasite here in Alaska is giarrdia(sp?), which we
call 'beaver fever'.

*Imbalance microbiology (ie wrong bacteria/too much yeast).

*Amine and salicylate intolerance.  I can have salicylates, but amines do
me in.  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~sdengate/

*Gallbladder.  I had diarrhea and pain. Gallstones are very common.

*Eliminate lactose from your diet for awhile.  It is one of the more common
causes of chronic diarrhea besides CD.

*Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

* many celiac adults have an insufficiency produced by the pancreas.

*Amine and salicylate intolerance.   Check out

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~sdengate/

*carbohydrates (even gluten free).
=============================
ON TREATMENT

*Be agressive.  You need to keep going back to the doctor and ask him or
her to treat you more aggressively.

*Try the pepto bismol therapy. It is very save.  Ask your doctor....i did
it twice and my symptoms have improved 100%

*Get the homeopathic remedy VERATRUM ALB 30C, take two pills under the
tongue with each diarrhea attack.  It should stop almost instantly with no
side effects build up your gut.

*A pharmacist said: keep narcotic analgesics around for days like that.

They ease the pain, help the diarrhea and let me get sleep.  I never have
to take more than 1 or 2 to get me through.  I wouldn't recommend it to
anyone though, because being a pharmacist, I've seen too
many people hooked on narcotics... You may want to check out every
medication you may be on.  So many list GI distress and diarrhea as a side
effect.  I noticed you take Ginko?  Do you also take huperzine A?  It can
increase cholinergic activity and make you have diarrhea. Ginko could be
doing it if you aren't using a standardized extract or making an infusion
with the leaves.  You might try imodium or a fiber supplement.  There is
also a medication called Equalactin that helps produce a normal stool
whether the problem is diarrhea or constipation. It's used in irritable
bowel syndrome, but I'm not sure of the GF status of this product.

*A clinical nutrition student:  Maintain a food and symptom diary. It will
help you pin point what is ingested just prior to your bouts of diarrhea.=

Include in it how you feel emotionally. There are other causes of diarrhea
for example lactose the sugar in milk.  Each of these conditions require
different strategies to treat.

*Starting over.  Begin again with very few (boring) food items, maintain
them for a week, and then add another new one.  Use not sauces or spices,
go plain.  You could do rice, chicken, and a vegetable for dinner.  Eggs
and fruit for breakfast.  Chicken, rice and vegetable for lunch. Slowly
build up from there.  Funny, that's what we do to our kids when they are
babies and it works so well.

*Digestive enzymes.  I have had similar problems for the last few years and
had removed so much (food) from my diet that it was pretty sparce.  My MD
suspected refractory sprue or a lymphoma since I was losing weight.  I had
asked him previously to order prescription enzymes because of an article
that Joe Murray from Mayo Clinic had written.  He (my MD) had always
refused, but after a new endoscopy and biopsy showed no increased villi
damage he agreed to prescribe Pancrease capsules.  These are much more
potent than those you can buy in the health food store and at the
International Conference last weekend these were discussed as being helpful
when the diet is correct and the symptoms persist.  There doesn't seem to
be any down side that I can find in the literature.

*I am aged 54 and maybe it takes a lot longer when you are older,
than a child who would perhaps respond more quickly to a gf diet (I've been
on a strict diet for 18 months)  A gastoenterologist said that for adults
the average time to anything like full recovery was 2 to 3 years.

*Rice will get you over the runs, and when it does, include it in your
daily diet

*Get a comprehensive stool analysis test

*recheck the diagnosis, look for enzyme supplements, and check pancreatic
problems, lymphoma, etc.