From:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:26:55 -0500

Unfortunately, all such fiber laxatives are too weak to significantly help
my issue, a primary side effect of strong narcotics. I've tried every
gluten-free version, at every reasonable, multiple dosage.

CVS may have found a pill that works. It's a generic version of ExLax
(sennosides), the branded version which Novartis says is NOT gluten free.
But the extra strength generic, made by Guardian, is. (The Regular strength
generic, made by another company, is also not gluten free.)

Still would appreciate any further suggestions if any, as the CVS product
may have other allergen problems for me--it includes a fake sugar, which has
always also been problematic.

____________

In the process of researching, found that CVS has a database of their gluten
free OTC products, which they sent me a copy of (Excel database that came
through as a web page, but was easily copied and pasted into a new Excel
page for resorting, etc. Small compared to the number of CVS-branded
products they carry, but that's typical. I asked dozens of questions about
the list, and they assured me that everything on it was checked thoroughly
with each manufacturer, so is as accurate as they come. Call the main
customer service number on the CVS Pharmacy website and request one. They
also expressed interest in sharing with CSA for their printed book of gluten
free products I use, so watch for it also in next year's update.

(Too big to include in this list, and I don't yet have a website to host
it.) Great resource, though. I wish more pharmacies would compile similar
lists.

John