Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:42:16 -0500

Hi List,

The recent post on echinacea got me thinking.   We need to be careful
about what we write and I think it would be best if people state whether
they are giving their opinion, or where they got their information.

For instance, I had previously searched the archives on echinacea, and I
could have responded to the recent post with "although Echinacea may not
contain gluten it is not recommended for auto immunes. Our immune systems
are already overly sensitive and echinacea is made to boost it."  Which
would have made 14 people giving that response.  But I wonder how many
people wrote that because they also read it on the Listserve.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong.  I took echinacea before my diagnosis
and it did seem to help shorten colds.  So once my intestines are healed
and my immune system is only having to deal with an occasional accidental
ingestion, why wouldn't echinacea continue to help me?

I really haven't researched this, but I did find a little information
from Consumer Reports May 2000 issue.  It says in part, "A limited amount
of test-tube evidence suggests that the herbal (echinacea) stimulates
immune processes.  People with an autoimmune disease, such as type 1
diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, or multiple sclerosis, and people with a
suppressed immune system...should not take echinacea without consulting
their doctor."

Does anyone else have specific information on this?

Linda