From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:28:24 -0500

Sandy gave us a wonderful Angel Food Cake recipe so I thought you all might enjoy this delish recipe for a chocolate pie that would use up some of those egg yolks.  My son made this for me GF and the recipe was in our newspaper.

Silky Chocolate Pie
6 TBs sugar (granulated)
1/4 cup plus l TB of cornstarch
8 large egg yolks

l quart of whole or 2% milk
8 ozs semisweet chocolate chopped  ( I used Bakers)
4 TB unsalted butter, cut up

l - 10inch baked pie shell
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
2 TB confectioners sugar  ( the 10x would dissolve quicker but not necessary)
l tsp vanilla GF
Chocolate shavings to scatter over the top of the whipped cream.  (semi-sweet.

Whisk sugar and cornstarch together in bowl. Add the egg yolks and beat high speed till thick and pale about 4 minutes.  ( I like to use a electric hand mixer for this.)
Put the l Quart of milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil whisking often over medium heat. Whisk 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture then add this to the rest of the milk.  I do this off the heat. Then return to the heat and cook over med. heat until thickened and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate and butter that has been cut up. Whisk until melted and smooth.  Pour into the baked pie shell. Cover carefully and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Two to three hours before serving, whip cream, sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks. Smooth over the pudding and scatter with chocolate shavings.

This is easy and sooo good.
Nancy, N.C.
Enjoy, Happy Thanksgiving