From:
Paul Groschen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:53:43 -0500

Early in July I asked about intestinal permeability tests and treatment
from non traditional medical professionals like a chiropractor or
naturopath. Here is a summary of the replies I received, all positive
permeability.

Paul
St. Paul, MN
Sorry for the delay

> [...]

>It was my chiropractor and my personal trainer that caught on to the fact
>that I had a gluten intolerance (among other problems).  Doctors always
>brushed aside my symptoms (mostly fatigue) as psychological.  A good
>chiropractor is well-trained in nutrition and views the "whole" patient, not
>just the symptoms.  I guess, also, since I see my chiropractor (and personal
>trainer) much more often than a doctor, they had the opportunity to get to
>know me better.
>
>Their nutritional and supplement suggestions has helped a great deal.  It's
>certainly worth a shot.  I believe that chiropractors and naturopaths are
>much more knowledgeable about non-medical methods of treatment.  Most doctors
>I've met seem to feel, if you can't prescribe a medication for it, then it's
>all in the head.

>you said it.... there is virtually no support from the regular medics. Sad
>but true. I had to diagnose myself and stumble in the Internet on Scott
>Adams homepage before I had relief. It was only 20 years of my life that
>were impacted by misdiagnosis and ignorance.

>Not only am I a celiac, I am a chiropractor.  "Conventional" alopathic
>medicine has no lock on intelligence, education and concern.  I also
>have found no help from my local "medical" community and have had to
>educate myself.  I encourage you to do the same. ---------with the help
>of an intelligent, well educated and concerned health care
>professional, no matter what his or her label might be.

>To your last question--Yes!  We have had good help from a Naturopath.
> They deal much more with the actual causes of problems rather than
>just giving you medicine to alleviate symptoms.  I wouldn't hesitate
>to consult one as long as you get good recommendations from others as
>to his/hers experience and reputation.  The Naturopath we have
>experience with is far more knowledgeable about nutrition than any
>traditional medical doctor we have ever had dealings with.  We were
>VERY grateful to the doctor who made my husband's diagnosis, as we
>finally knew what we were dealing with, but as far as the actual
>treatment of his problems goes, we much prefer the Naturopath.

>I've had excellent results from naturopathic treatment for leaky gut
>syndrome.  Live blood cell analysis & electrodermal diagnosis were used.
>Treatment consisted of elimination diet, oral supplements of lipotropic
>complex and glandular substances. After 2 months, FOS was added for a month,

>Like you I went from MD to MD, thinking that their credentials entitled
>them my trust. Like you I became disillusioned with their lack of
>ethics, limited knowledge and major attitude.  I became so disheartened
>I became a naturopath.
>Yes, I can say with certainty that I would trust a good naturopath.
>Make sure you find a licensed ND, because there are correspondence
>schools who offer ND degrees that are worthless.

NEW TESTING PROCEDURE

> Testing for "intestinal permeability" is a
>sensitive and accurate way to screen for celiac disease, with fewer false
>positive and false negative results than other commonly used screens.
>Intestinal permeability reflects the ability of the intestinal lining to
>absorb nutrients while keeping undesirable chemical substances out of the
>body. In patients with celiac disease who are consuming gluten, even small
>amounts of damage to the intestine will allow certain large chemical
>molecules to leak into the bloodstream, from which they may be excreted by
>the kidneys into the urine. The available permeability test requires that
>the individual drink a solution which contains two sugars, neither of which
>is metabolized or changed in the body. One sugar is usually mannitol, which
>is readily absorbed from the intestine and excreted in the urine. The other
>sugar is lactulose, which is hardly absorbed at all under normal
>conditions. Any lactulose that is absorbed is excreted unchanged in the
>urine within 5 to 6 hours. Both sugars are safe to be taken, even by small
>children. When a person with celiac disease drinks the lactulose/mannitol
>mixture, an excessive amount of lactulose will appear in the urine, unless
>the person is on a strict gluten-free diet. If the person has enough celiac
>disease to create malabsorption, then the mannitol level in urine will be
>low. The ratio of lactulose to mannitol in urine is the most sensitive
>index of active celiac disease. An elevated lactulose to mannitol ratio in
>urine may be due to conditions other than celiac disease, such as
>intestinal infection, severe food allergy or Crohn's disease, but a normal
>ratio indicates either that the person does not have celiac disease or is
>in complete remission due to strict adherence to a gluten-free diet.
>Information about this test can be obtained from the one laboratory that
>presently offers it, Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory in Asheville, NC.
>Their number is 1-800-522-4762. Some references related to intestinal
>permeability and celiac disease are:
>
> Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

There is more information, I tried to keep this brief, if you want the
complete post let me know
or Email Don