Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:52:42 EST

Greetings all!  I thought that I'd take a min. from my nocturnal college
schedule to ask a question that's been on my mind for quite some time (All you
guys squeamish about "female things" had best scroll on by this one).  Anyway,
for you CD women of the group, have you had problems having regular periods?
Many years ago when I first started menstruating, I was regular for a while,
then I had a period that lasted like two months straight (yes, I had to take
iron supplements eventually!).  Since then, more or less, I've been extremely
irregular--I can go four or five months without having a period.  It's gotten
to the point where I have to take medicine to induce one.  I've had my
hormones checked twice, and everything is within normal range.  My
gasteronterologist seems to think that there could be a link between CD and
the physiological system that kicks the menstrual cycle into action.  All I
know is that our bodies have a very delicate chemical balance, and that an
"unusual" diet such as ours could possibly effect that.

I'm wondering if this is something that has been experienced by other women
Celiacs, and if anyone has noticed it effecting fertility or sexual interest.
I hope that this question doesn't offend anyone, but I'd imagine that there is
someone out there who is wondering the same thing.  I will try to summarize
the responses in due time.

Thanks in advance!
Jess in IN