From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:27:56 -0500

I have been getting requests for a latke recipe. I hate to say that I make mine by how it fits into my blender, but it's true, and I had to figure it out again, when I got a new blender. But this is as close to my recipe as I can get. I haven't grated potatoes in years potatoes and hate the mixes.  As a side dish, I would say this is four servings...one potato per person.  Lin

Latkes
Put the onion and egg  in a blender or cruisenart, and pulse as you add potatoes, until incorporated, and it becomes a thick, grainy batter.  Occasionally turn it off and use a spoon to stir the mix from bottom up.  Shouldn't be watery.  If it is, strain off the water by pressing the batter with a spoon and pouring off the water.   Different potatoes make more water. I use either white potatoes or russets/Idahos.  This recipe doesn't have to be exact, but keep the ratio about the same.

1. One large diced onion
2. One slightly beaten large egg (I have seen recipes that call for two.)
3. Four large potatoes, peeled and diced
4. One  tbs baking powder
5. Two to three  heaping tbs flour approx (I used a mild gf flour. Wouldn't use a bean flour or anything with a strong taste.)
6. Generous shakes of pepper, several shakes salt.

Heat vegetable oil in pan. Oil should be deep enough to cover pan generously....maybe one eighth inch. You are not deep frying. A drop of water sizzles when oil is hot. Keep bottle of oil handy. You may need to add more.

Carefully spoon some of the batter into the oil. You can pour two successive tbs spoonfuls into one latke, if you do it before the first sets in the oil, or just use a bigger spoon. The oil will splatter, so do it slowly. Sort of slide the batter in, in small pancakes...and out 2-3 inches across.

It is ok if the edges of the latkes are lacey. Just don't burn. Carefully turn latkes over and fry other side. They should be golden brown on both sides. Will happen fast.

If I am making several batches, and need to keep them hot and not too greasy, I will put them on a cookie sheet and keep in a warm oven at 200-250 deg. F.  You are not trying to cook them. Otherwise, I drain them on a paper towel on a plate.

Latkes can be frozen. I usually freeze about six in an overlapping row, in foil. Can be defrosted in an oven. This year, I am going to try shredded sweet potato latkes...adding shredded sweet potato to regular potatoes. I have shredded zucchini in with potatoes, in past years, as variety.

Serve with apple sauce or sour cream.