From:
mary beam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mary beam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 12:51:18 -0700

I am letting off steam here and wondering if anyone
else has had this experience with their ex.

In the  spring of 2000, my ex was court-ordered to pay
half of the non-insured medical expenses for our two
children. That fall, the youngest was diagnosed with
gluten-intolerance (had a very high titer of 1240 )and
put on the GF Diet for life. He agreed to help out
with the more expensive items, but not her food that
all of us ate. I considered it fair.

At the time all I could afford was the ingredients for
baked goodies and I had the time to bake. Now, I work
full-time, use a pre-mix for the bread machine (he
paid half but that's another story), and can afford
single serving packages of Break Bars and cookies to
keep at school for treat substitues, Running Rabbit
Licorice as a Pizza Hut Book-It alternative plus
sometimes the almost instant mac and cheese or a GF
pizza.

However, he is balking at the cost, saying he'd prefer
to just pay for the flour. He doesn't want to pay for
the cheese that goes on top of her home made pizza
even though she's the only one who eats it and he
already doesn't pay for the milk,oil,eggs,spices, or
tomato sauce. Or the Jiffy Peanut Butter, or the Betty
Crocker Fruit Snacks.

He says her diet is not really a non-insured medical
expense and infers I should be grateful to get
anything extra from him.

He also didn't believe her diagnosis even though the
Pediatric GI was 98% sure, but couldn't figure out why
her blood work wasn't normal if she was on a strict GF
Diet ( It went down to 80).

 I finally went to Dr. Guandalini in Chicago for a
second opinion in June, 2003. He confirmed the
diagnosis, was 99.9% sure, drew some of her blood, saw
the results ( 80 again ) and wondered why it wasn't
normal.

Well, I guess my ex decided to accept the diagnosis
and get better at eliminating gluten from her diet
because that fall after her yearly exam, the blood
work finally came back normal.

I'm tired of the hassle, nickle and diming everything,
explaining and justifying purchases not just with him
but his girl friend, too.

How do you all handle situations like this?

Thanks for listening. Comments would be appreciated.

=====