From:
"Robert Clifton Pearce, III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:36:33 -0700

I was diagnosed this summer and I am amazed that I work in the
marketing/public relations department of a hospital with one of the
leading digestive disease centers in this area of the country, that is
the teaching hospital of a university with a fine reputation, and I
encounter such a random awareness of celiac disease!

Yesterday I asked two university professors in the nutrition department
(in a casual conversation) if they included celiac disease and gluten
free diet in their curriculum.  They said no!  I asked them if they
would mind mentioning it in the future since I had encountered such a
problem finding a knowledgeable nutritionist.  One referred me to a
book that had "gluten enteropathy" information and the other one gave
me the toll free number for nutritionists.  I thanked them but told
them I had found a gold mine by finding this list.  I plan to somehow
prepare materials for the outpatient nutrition department and my doctor
on resources available for this diagnosis. I certainly have enough
information to point them in the right direction.

In defense of my primary care physician and my digestive disease
doctor, both mentioned nontropical sprue right away.  My primary care
physician suggested I search the World Wide Web.  It's just the path
after the diagnosis that I question.

Pam Pearce
Chapel Hill, NC