From:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KJ Kemmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:22:16 -0500

For those of you who eat out, I saw this on a cooking show on TV earlier
today and after checking with a few people I know in the restaurant biz
found that it is not uncommon.  Perhaps I am the last to find this out but
I thought I would pass the information along.  Apparently, one of the
tricks to removing sand from the inside of muscles is to soak them in water
and pour in some flour.  The muscles take in the flour and "release" the
sand. I never would have thought of plain steamed muscles as a possible
gluten contamination source and never would have asked about such a thing.
Something to keep in mind.

Best health to all,
Kristi