Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:21:18 -0800

My quest to find either a GF flour mixture suitable for use without gums
and/or a substitute for gums in the mix is as follows:

I don't use these gums, just because I don't find them here.  Instead I use
baking soda and apple vinegar:  1 teaspoon of each for about 200 g flour.
You mix baking soda with the other dry ingredients and vinegar with the other
wet ingredients; you mix wet and dry ingredients together at the last minute,
just before putting your bread in the oven.  (writer from Switzerland)

Some say 1/8 cup mung bean to 1 cup GF flour works instead of gums.  Also
asking Ener-G Foods at 1-800-331-5222 about their suggestions from the
CSA/USA conference last October.  (from Miss Robens Foods)

I have been making great cookies using a mixture of corn starch and instant
potato flakes - no gum.  But, so far, all the muffins that I have made using
that mixture have been less than spectacular...  (writer from Missouri)

Try Marion N. Wood's books.  They are fantastic, real gourmet food and
written before anyone thought of using 'gums'.  Check them out on
internet or call publisher (Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.) for
direct purchase.  I have had mine for 23 years and still use them more
than anything.  Nothing holds a candle to the most 'real' tasting, light
and delightful everythings she offers... Included are fabulous cakes,
quiches, pastries, creme puffs and eclairs, cookies, etc.  Also main
meals and lots of breads, muffins, pancakes and the world's best waffles
and the perfect batter for frying anything.  (writer from Texas)

Two books by Marion N. Wood are "Delicious and Easy Rice Flour Recipes
and Gourmet Food on a Wheat-Free Diet. All of these recipes in both
books are GF. I checked and Amazon.com has these two books if you are
also interested in cooking without gums.

I thank everybody who had something to contribute to my inquiry.

Candice in California