From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 22:38:51 EST

>If we allow gliadin peptides into the bloodstream, via crypt hyperplasia,
>and they attack the adhesion molecules that hold the vein & artery walls
>together, then that might be the cause of the injury that leads to
>cholesterol plaque. If I'm right, current conventional wisdom is treating
>many cardiac patients inappropriately. Instead of lowering cholesterol,
>they should be focussing on getting the gliadin peptides out of the diet
>and blood.

I found the above statement very interesting.  Today my cardiologist informed
me that I have slight cholosterol plague in my catorid (neck) arteries.  In
late January, around the time of my celiac diagnosis, I sustained a heart
attack, caused by a blood clot blocking the flow of oxygenated blood back to
the heart.  The doctor found this incident very unusual and puzzling, as I had
been in excellent cardiac health and all my physiological factors (i.e.,
weight, cholosterol, blood pressure, etc) were within normal ranges.   He and
my original gastroenterologist ruled out the link between the blood clot and
celiac.  I've undergone several tests, all negative.  The Dr. and I are still
exploring possibilities for the source of the clot.  I do plan to ask my new
gastroenterologist about this possible connection.  In the meantime, I do
wonder if there's indeed a celiac link for the clot.  Could any one of you
enlighten me?  Thank you.

Mildred Oberkotter, New York City