From:
Karen Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:04:04 -0400

I am just recovering from a 2 day gluten reaction.  The only possible
culprit is the above listed caramel dip.  I eat this quite a lot, and
have never had problems, but 1 hour after ingestion on Thursday night, I
was very sick - you know the symptoms.  I dragged myself to the phone
yesterday afternoon ,made several long distance phone calls(yet another
company without a toll free line) and called them on it.  The man I
spoke to was sure the dip was gluten free - mod. food starch is corn -
but then said they don't guarentee their products due to different
suppliers, making different products on the same line, etc. Then it was
back to bed until this afternoon.  Two days totally wasted!   So now, I
am ready to join the fight. How do we go about having GF placed on
labels?  Who do we talk to?  I sent an E-mail to "The View", which is
Barbara Walters day time show.  We need more national exposure. Is there
a celiac group that is working on having laws changed?  Any advice would
be appreciated.  Thanks.