From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 21:14:00 EST

Also, Heather Murphy wrote:

HM> Can someone tell me if all "extracts" contain gluten.  Yesterday
HM> I drank a "Nantucket Nectars" bottle of pink lemonade, which
HM> contained extract of lemon....Lo and behold, about an hour later
HM> I experienced the familiar grumblings of something gone
HM> wrong...followed by hours of painful cramps, etc.

For your own baking, you can use all McCormick's extracts.  In a
letter dated August 11, 1994 they state, "McCormick Extracts are
made with ethyl alcohol which has a synthetic petroleum base.  All
our extracts are gluten free."

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about products made
with grain alcohol, which can include vanilla and other extracts.  I
decided to cull the archives for previous responses.  I've edited
out the redundant or unrelated portions (according to my judgement).
This covers all the archives prior to June 1st:

     [This information can be obtained by sending an e-mail message to]
     [[log in to unmask] containing the following line:   ]
     [       GET CELIAC ISSUES                                        ]
     [Or visit <http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/issues.html>        ]
     [                                    -the listowners, 11 May 1999]

As you can see, we have some strong theory and the Canadian policy
on the one hand, and some personal anecdotal evidence against grain
alcohol on the other hand.  In the absence of definitive scientific
studies, each celiac must make their own decision regarding the use
of grain alcohol and extracts (such as vanilla) when they have a
grain alcohol base.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to
further test this issue, or any NEW information regarding it,
please post it to the list.

--- Jim Lyles, [log in to unmask] ---
--------- Holly, Michigan, USA --------