From:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:10:44 -0400

I asked the group for information on fructose intolerance in people with CD. I had at least a dozen responses from people who had it in varying degrees. Some cannot process any fructose, which is found in many fresh fruits and vegetables, and others can tolerate some foods containing fructose in various amounts. The balance or ratio of fructose to other foods such as fiber and dairy is also significant to the amount of fructose one can tolerate. High fructose corn syrup, an additive in many foods and beverages, really seems to cause the most intestinal upset. There is a rare genetic condition called HFI, where someone lacks the ability to process any fructose, and if they do not comply there can be serious organ damage. This condition is usually picked up once a child begins to eat solid foods.

In summary and after speaking once again to her doctor, my daughter will start by trying to eliminate high fructose corn syrup. If she shows no improvement he will schedule a "breath test" like the lactose test, before trying to go fructose free. Totally eliminating fructose from the diet is even more daunting than going gluten free and there is a ton of information out on the net. http://www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp is one of many sites that can be of help. If someone needs to be fructose free it is wise to consult a nutritionist.

Thanks to all for your help.

Kathy B