Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:37:50 -0500

A good GF pie crust seems to be a difficult one for many people.  I am
sharing a recipe with you that came from "Mae," a lady who has been around a
long time as a celiac and shared this with me about 10 years ago (it is
attached).  Sometimes it needs some patch work but it never hurts the taste
and flakiness of the crust.  She rolled it pretty thin.  I've never
forgotten the first time I tasted her berry pie - - yum!!  She isn't able to
do much cooking anymore so this just might remind me to make one and take it
to her.  I encourage all of you to do that for someone in your support group
who isn't able to cook so much - - or a newly diagnosed celiac.

I have discovered a way to work with pie crusts better in getting them off
the wax paper and into the pan.  This may be nothing new to many of you.
Instead of using rice flour to keep the dough from sticking to the wax paper
(I usually just use the wax paper on each side of the dough even though I
have some other "sheets" -- I don't see a lot of difference).  Even as I
roll it, I stop and sprinkle a little more cornstarch.  I have been amazed
at the difference.  If the top wax paper comes off nicely, then put the pie
pan upside-down on the rolled dough and flip it over.  Again, you may have
to patch a little but so what?  It is good.  If you want to just "pat" it
into the pie pan, then dip your hands into the cornstarch.

The apple pie recipe is a very good one so enjoy.  Add a scoop of ice cream
or whipped cream if desired.

Sharon in KS