From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:26:23 -0800

Thanks to Roy for bringing this article to our attention.  I think it's typical for doctors & researchers to report that something is "safe" to do because they, the doctors & researchers, can't SEE any mathematically measurable reasons not to (flattened villi, antibodies in the blood, etc.).  If they knew how horrible it FEELS to be contaminated by even miniscule amounts of gluten on an ongoing basis, I believe they would report completely different conclusions.  They would likely report conclusions the way most of us celiacs regard gluten ingestion: NO AMOUNT OF GLUTEN, NO MATTER HOW LITTLE, IS TOLERABLE!

I remember after my diagnosis in 2000 when I first went GF, I felt so good, so happy, so energetic ... even euphoric after suffering with a multitude of chronic health problems for 10 years that I went back to full time work as a nurse.  I was thrilled that I could actually put in a 10 hour day & still have the energy to come home & prepare GF meals for my family.  But for some reason unknown to me at that time, several months after my employment began, I suddenly began feeling profoundly tired, depressed, plagued with sinus problems, heartburn, serious brain fog, etc.  I also began losing weight again.  Blood testing showed no measurable amounts of antigliadin antibodies.  After five months of this misery, I found a possible source of hidden gluten -- a bottle of Lawry's seasoned salt.  There was not enough wheat flour in the product (less than 2%) for wheat to even be listed on the ingredients labeling, but it contained just enough to make me extremely ill for five months.  If the gluten in that bottle of seasoned salt could have been measured, I'll bet it would have been less than 50 mg a day that I put on my food, and I didn't even use it every day.  On that tiny amount of gluten contamination, I functioned at level so low during that period that I actually lost my job.  As soon as I eliminated the Lawry's seasoned salt from my diet, I completely recovered my health & vitality, but sadly it was too late to get my old job back.  Can you imagine any employer accepting the excuse of "unknowingly under the influence of gluten" for poor performance?  I don't think so.

So ... while less than 50 mg of gluten a day may be safe for some gluten intolerant & celiacs, it's certainly not tolerable for me.  ~Valerie in Tacoma