From:
Christian Gassler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:07:56 -0500

Hello folks

We've seen a lot of egg/milkfree recipe requests lately.
As I don't like cake-like bread (with eggs and milk), I
have developed a bread recipe, that will usually deliver
a loaf, that I have to compete for with my lovely wife.

You need:

2   cups of (white) rice flour,
1/2 cup  of corn flour,
1/2 cup  of potato starch,
1/4 cup  of tapioca flour,
2   tsps of locust bean flour (carob?),
3/2 tsps of salt (or use less, if you like);

1/3 oz   of yeast (or equiv in dry yeast),
3/2 tsps of sugar,
2   tbls of (olive) oil,
1/2 tbls of (apple) vinegar,

lukewarm water.

How I do it:

1) I put the yeast and the sugar in a glass
   measure, that can hold 2 cups or more.

2) I mix all dry ingredients (by hand) in a
   sufficiently large bowl. I grind my own
   flours, but you can also use commercially
   available flours, if you are sure, that
   they are gf (politely ask your supplier).

3) I butter a spring form (8..10 in diam)
   and generously dust it with the above
   dry mix, the flour that does not stick
   to the form goes back into the bowl.

4) Meanwhile, the yeast and sugar have
   dissolved, so I add 1 cup of lukewarm
   water, the oil and vinegar and mix it,
   until it looks milky. Then I fill up
   to a level 2 cups and mix again.

5) I mix the dry and wet mixes and stir it
   with a wooden spoon. This action builds
   strong arms and hands.

6) depending on the consistency of the dough,
   I add lukewarm water, until the dough is
   smooth and just a bit thinner than regular
   dough.

7) I put the dough into the spring form and
   put it in the handwarm oven to rise for
   40-60 minutes, form covered by damp cloth.
   (try to keep the cloth away from dough)

8) After rising, I crank up the heat to
   220 CELSIUS (430 Farenheit), using both
   the hot air and infrared heater that my
   oven supplies. The heat is usually reached
   after a few minutes. At 220 Celsius, I set
   the heat back to 200 Celsius (400 F).
   After 10-15 minutes, I cover the form and
   bake the bread for a total of 50-70 minutes.

The whole procedure sounds rather annoying, but once
you have it in your blood, it is really easy ... BUT
depending on the dry ingredients, you have to experiment
a little bit with the proportions of dry ingredients and
water, maybe also with the ammount of yeast needed. Too
much yeast makes the dough go quickly and callaps while
baking!

The bread thus created can be used for multiple purposes:

Just bread (toasted or not), Pizza (prebake a flat! loaf),
Pizza bianca (flat bread with olive oil and salt on top),
Pizza bianca with onions (add onion rings on top), and a
lot of variations with doughs containing nuts, olives,
grilled bacon etc, do not limit your imagination!

If you try it, please let me know the results.

Christian, Basel, Switzerland