From:
Patrick Boeckenstedt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:21:38 -0600

Thanks to all for your information.  I got a lot of good ideas for my trip to
Europe.  Several people were also planning trips, and requested that I
summarize:

Gluten free foods are available from Chemists (drug stores).  the UK has a
comprehensive food list which is available from the UK Coeliac Society:

   The Coeliac Society
   PO box 220
   High Wycome
   Bucks
   HP 11 2HY

the cost is 3 pounds.  they have a web page at
   http://www.coeliac.co.uk/

Do not drink any beer. Cider is readily available but be careful.
Drought cider may get cross contaminated but bottled cider is OK.
Most fast food outlets offer a poor choice, with the exception of public
houses (Bars).

Here in Switzerland, you can buy gf products from health store and
sometimes from pharmacies (green cross sign).  One of the most common
brand is "Schaer" or "Schar".

It is always wise to carry somethings with you that travel well.
Mutrimax soup mix are nice to have.  I have been to Europe many times
and have not had a problem.  Carry a few things with you in case you run
into a snag.

There is a health food restaurant in Cambridge, across from King's
college that had labeled gluten free menu items.  I had trouble eating
at a few indian restaurants, and could not identify the culprit, but
after the second try gave it up.

If all else fails, "jacket potatoes" in the pubs are always great.  I
especially enjoyed the potatoes with a lovely white sharp cheddar cheese
--
Most of the pharmacies, aka Boots, carry gf breads, crackers, biscuits.
I found a corn crispbread ( shaped kind of like a Rye Krist) imported

The best thing you can do for yourself is bring a small light weight
cooler on the plane filled with your favorite gf food.  customs does not
check for food on the way out - just on the way in.  You will find
plenty of health food stores in London because celiac is more diagnosed
in England than it is here.

When in a restaurant ask for steak/meat/fish and potatoes, rice, but
avoid sausages.  You must explain you can't eat wheat flour.

gluten free in Canada and the US is not the same as gluten free in the
UK.  In the UK they are allowed wheat starch, this may or may not cause
problems.

Mc Donalds is also not the same, make sure you get an ingredients list.
Baked potatoes are a life saver.  I didnt have any trouble eating at
baked potato places with cheese or beans ( as long as they are Heinz).
You must try the glutano product line - especially the chocolate bars.
There ia a health food store chain, with a distinctive green awning.
There is one located in the Victoria station shopping mall in London.
they sell a lot of gf stuff.  Rice cakes and general food can be found
at Safeway or Tesco .  I tried every major brand of cider while I was
there - no probles.  Be aware that the alcohol content of these things
vary, so you may end up listing to your hotel if you consume on on an
empty stomach.

Thanks  to all.  I feel more at ease about my vacation and I am sure it
will be great.