From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:02:58 -0600

Onion and Herb Rice Mix
Adapted from www.ricecafe.com

2 packages (1.1 oz) Fantastic Foods onion soup mix
1/2  Cup parsley flakes (bought in bulk at the health food store)
2 TBL crushed basil leaves

Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container.  Makes 18 TBL.  Each batch is
4-1/2 TBL to 1 Cup rice.  Mix well before measuring as powder sinks to the bottom.
To make combine 1 Cup uncooked long grain rice, 4-1/2 TBL herb rice mix, 2 cups water
(1-3/4 Cups for medium or short grain rice, 2-1/2 Cups water for brown rice), and 1
TBL butter optional in a 2-3 quart saucepan.  Bring to boil, stir once or twice.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes (45 for brown rice), or until water is
absorbed.

Chicken Rice Seasoning Mix
Adapted from Quick Cooking Magazine Collector's Edition 2002 p. 39

1 Cup sliced almonds coarsely chopped
1/2 Cup Herb Ox Instant Bouillon
1/2 Cup dried parsley flakes (bought in bulk at the health food store)
1 TBL dried basil

Do you ever make risotto?  It's my new favorite rice.  Well, I've been making it for
about 2-3 years.  It's very versatile and you can add just about anything.  Sometimes
I make it with sun dried tomatoes.  Other times, I put chopped up artichoke hearts
and spinach.  I'll attach a recipe.  Mushrooms would be good too.  When I'm adding an
ingredient, I usually put them in with the butter and rice at the beginning so the
flavor permeates, but spinach I add at the last minute, because I don't like it
cooked that long.

On regular rice, I sometimes make a mock Rice-a-Roni.  I heat up 1-2 T.
butter and add 1 cup of rice and chopped up gf spaghetti.  The tiniest I can find.  I
heat that for about 4-5 min and then add 2 cups of chicken broth.  I add seasonings
like garlic, turmeric, & parsley.  I cook for
14 min covered on low and whallah!

I add a bit of lemon oil or use lemon peel with a few cranks of the pepper mill, my
kids also like it.

Putting a bit of tomato sauce in for the water and adding a bit of onion/peppers even
pineapple or a bit of juice with the water.

I make my own soups from boiling the bones of either the chicken or pork and this
adds calcium but adding just a bit of stock which was the purpose of the bouillon
cube I grew up with my mom doing.

One of my favorites. I've served many a pot of rice over the years.

Salsa, chutney, raisins and cardamom, honey and garlic, olive oil and basil, sesame
seeds, sauteed onions (with wine, jam, deglaze and reduce), parmesan cheese and peas,
vinegar, vinagrette, fresh tomatoes and mozarella, sausage-raisins-sauerkraut, Thai
Basil curry paste, taco seasoning (McCormick's), ... let your imagination run wild.
Basically, any flavoring elements of any other dish.

Any one of these at a time, or a combination. I start out on Monday with plain rice,
then add a few ingredients each day, (including a meat or fish), so it becomes a
different dish each day. I have some for lunch at work each day.

*******
*******