From:
Andrea Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:25:53 -0500

In a press release dated November 24, 2003, FDA Commissioner,
Mark B. McClellan, M.D., Ph.D., applauded the Senate Health,
Education, Labor and Pensions Committee reporting out several
health-related bills. Among the bills unanimously approved by
the Committee was S. 741, a bill that includes the proposed
Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2003.
Action by the Committee took place on November 21.

"I wish to thank the Committee Chairman Senator Judd Gregg,
Ranking Member Senator Edward Kennedy and the rest of the
Committee members for taking these actions," Dr. McClellan
said, "and I look forward to continuing to work with the
members of both houses of Congress toward the enactment of
these bills.

The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act will
provide improved food labeling to better inform consumers who
suffer from food allergies.

Having the endorsement of the FDA will be key as we look
ahead to floor action by the full Senate in early 2004.

Andrea Levario
Co-Chair, American Celiac Task Force