From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:15:42 -0700

A few more . . .
-----------------
I am also a grandmother and remaining gf around the grandkids is hard. My
daughter is very careful about washing down her counters when I come to
visit and my granddaughter only eats gf foods while I'm at her house
but...if I ride in their car, take her to a kids play place, or to the
store, I know I am taking a risk and often get sick. . . I bring lots of gf
goodies and I, too, am careful about washing my hands but the gluten somehow
still seems to get by my precautions . When we are with the extended family
and I'm helping with food, I do cover my mouth with tape or a band-aid.
Every one has a good laugh but I don't get sick and that's all I care about.
. . Children in our family as young as 3 years old understand a little about
my situation and are as careful as they can be, which sometimes isn't much.
But their  education is the only way my life will become easier.  I don't
want to be the grandma keeping them at arms length. I want to be the Grandma
hugging and playing with them. If for now that means I occasionally get
sick, it's worth it but...in the future I'm hoping they will help keep me
gf. Diane
-----------------------------
My husband has Celiac Disease (diagnosed 3 years ago) and we have two
children under 6 years old who do not have Celiac Disease.  We always wash
the table right after eating. Remember that the kisses and hugs you always
want to give them? The kids must be GF too!  Now the kids are in a habit of
washing THEIR hands and MOUTH after eating anything.  Also watch out for
gluten in their hair if you like to kiss their heads. . . . If you are
eating there watch for cross contamination in the GF foods.  We limit our
food to the kitchen so that probably helps stop the spread of food. . . .
There has been times when my husband has gotten sick.  It seems to be when
ever the table doesn't get washed off right after eating.  We think the
crumbs get stuck on his hands and then gets in his food.  Gretchen
--------------------------
I went to see my sister in May out in Baltimore Maryland. Her daughter has a
one year old tddler who isjust a doll. I didn't even have to walk areound
the house to get sick even though the entire week I stayed in a house with
gluten. The baby loved to make mouth noises and we really connected on that.
I love to make mouth noises also! And I was better then her and knew more
sounds to make. She was facinated with this and wanted to get her hands in
my mouth to see how I was doing it. You know it! She had eaten her dinner of
fish sticks and had the gluten on her hands. It's impossible to even hold
them without getting it on you and on your hands. They love to touch your
face and mouth. I feel bad at church because I really can't volunteer for
anyting. Even clean up would expose me to the gluten that everyone eats
there on a regular basis. To teach a Sunday school class would be a
disaster. Celiac really has an impact on your social life. You can't get
around that if your highly sensitive, you pretty much become and anti-social
hermit. Then I'm highly allergic to yeasts and molds that get airborne. So
even walking into a place that makes yeast breads or doughs sets me off.
Betty