Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:11:47 -0700

   Janet Whiteman asked (see below) about a possible connection between celiac
disease and thyroid problems.  I asked the same question a number of months
ago and have been trying to find the time to summarize.  Collecting the

   A good number of people responded, most with hypothyroid problems, and
there does seem to be a connection between the two - at least the anecdotal
response indicates that a real statistical correlation may exist.

   No one, however, had any specific scientific evidence in hand.  There was
some speculation that the allergic response to gluten may cause an allergic
search and destroy response to thyroid hormones in the blood, but again, no
hard evidence.

   This is, in sum, an area which probably could use some serious research.  A
statistical investigation would seem eminently justified as a beginning.

   Finally, my thanks to all who responded to my original question and my
apologies for so long a delay in summarizing.  I do hope this reaches all
the interested parties before they feel they should reply again.