From:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
dave taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 15:29:00 +0000

Thanks to the 30+ responses for my request for enchilada sauce recipies.  I
received 5 recipies (below) and tips from several people that McCormick (dry
mix), El Pato, Pace, Great Value, La Victoria and Las Palmas brands are all
GF.  Some of these brands were not available here in NE Ohio, and
unfortunately, the local Wal-Mart was not granted a grocery permit by the
local govenering body, so I can't shop for groceries there.

Recipies:

From Stacy:
2 Lbs tomatillos
1 Tablespoon vegtable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup cilantro (I assume chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

Clean and slice tomatillos in half and broil 7 - 9 minutes turning once
until browned. Saute onions in the oil. Add tomatillos, onions, cilantro,
cumin, sugar and salt into a blender.  Blend.  Pour into a saucepan over
medium heat.  Heat for 5 minutes, stiring often.  Add cream and broth and
heat an additional 5 minutes stiring often.

From Ann-Marie:
4 to 5 Pasilla chilies
3 garlic cloves
Salt (to taste)
1/4 medium onion
1 clove
Oregano
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 cup oil
water (to fill blender)

Place chilies in blender with other ingredients. Blend until well mixed.
Simer mixture in a sauce pan for 20 minutes.  (Modify ingredients to taste).

From Janet:
2 Tablespoons margarine
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 1/2 to 2 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes (or salted chicken broth)
1 to 2 Tablespoons chili powder
garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Melt margarine in a sauce pan.  Stir in corn starch.  Add water (and
bullion), or chicken broth.  Add remaining ingredients and brin to a boil.
Stir constantly.

From Rosie:
1 1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 to 1 cup tomato puree
1 Tablespoon lime juice

In a large heavy skillet, saute the corn starch and oil over medium heat for
1 minute.
Add herbs and spices, cook 1 additional minute.
Add broth, tomato puree and lime juice.
Raise heat and bring to a boil.
Stir constantly until thickened.

I hope these recipes help add some options to our diet selections.  Thanks
again to everyone that took time to respond.

Dave Taylor,  Mentor, OH