From:
- Julie Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:48:37 EDT

Thanks for the responses,
     It's about 50/50.  Some people feel Lactaid products can be used safely
while others like me choose to eliminate it totally.
     NOW, here's the new twist...  I just got back my results today that my
lactose intolerant test came back negative.  Even though I got bloated and
constipated for two days after taking the test.
     I assume my reaction to milk is not classified as intolerance.  So, I
just have a difficult time digesting it.  Whatever.........  I'm still not
going to drink it or bother with the tabs.
     Here's some of the responses.
Hope this helps!
Julie,
Florida
I drink the Lactaid milk with no problems but I have a hard time with the
tablets. I use the Ultra and still have to take two to three for even the
slightest amount of lactose, then I become constipated with cramping. I hate
to avoid lactose totally because our diets are restrictive enough.

Cherlyn
-They work great for me -- else I couldn't do ice cream or other dairy.  I
drink Lactaid milk (100% lactose removed).  And I use lots of pills with
ice cream.

Julie,
I was diagnosed with celiac 1 1/2 years ago and thought I was lactose
intolerant until 3 months ago.  It turns out that I have a severe casein
sensitivity (casein being another protein that is in milk).  Goat milk is low
in casein, and I've found that I can tolerate aged goat cheese. I never
thought I would eat cheese again, so this has been a wonderful discovery. I
suspect that there are many celiacs who, like me, assumed they were lactose
intolerant just because small amounts of milk make them horribly sick.  My
casein sensitivity was identified through an ELISA blood test.
Laurie

I used Lactaid skim milk (the purple and white container) and it is far less
difficult to digest than regular skim milk.  I've tried the tablets and they
didn't work for me, but do for others.  Like all things, it is highly
individualized.
Unfortunately, being able to use Lactaid got me hooked on coffee again, which
I can now enjoy without digestive problems.

Love and peace,

Libby

Usually this doesn't help....go for the formula....One l-glutamine capsule
and one
probiotics capsule with each meal TO HEAL LEAKY GUT which causes li...I felt
better
within a week and was no longer li in a few months.

I would love to hear about this one, too. As I have a 9 year old daughter who
wants badly to have some dairy products but the Lactaid doesn't seem to help
her.

Kate

When I was lactose intolerant, I used Lactaid ultra everyday with
complete success.

Maggie

They don't work but quitting all dairy does work use westbrae gf rice milk
and have your Dr prescribe Physical Therapy to learn the correct way to do
weight bearing excerises to keep and or turn around osteoporosis as calcium
is not the answer nor is taking hormones like estrogen's.
Lil

I gave up on using lactose reducing products and have eliminated all dairy
from my diet.
I don't know if it's just a matter of having to take more than the
suggested amount, or if the
pills themselves are problematic (perhaps aren't gluten free), or if there
is something else
about dairy (other than lactose) that is bothering me.

However, my gut is still healing and I am a year later still trying to
identify everything in my
diet that I have trouble with. I'm hoping that I will eventually be able to
reintroduce dairy,
but if I have to take half a dozen lactose reducing pills with every
serving, I probably just
won't bother.

If you are up for it, you could try taking more, or try a different
product. Perhaps drops are
GF but tablets aren't? I just didn't bother because I'm trying to reach a
stable baseline of
symptom free from which I can experiment in reintroducing things. Good
luck!

-Scott

There is some evidence that eating well-fermented yogurt or kefir helps.
The bugs in the kefir/yogurt produce lactase in your gut, which will
help digest the lactose. Probiotic pills may do the same thing.

Anyway, I can tolerate kefir but not milk. (I don't like yogurt, but it's
probably ok too). Does good things for your gut too.

Hi Julie
I went through the stages cows milk; goats milk; Lactaid; Papaya pills
.......................................  eventually I gave up.  I can eat a
little hard
cheese (prefer Spanish Manchego ... sheeps milk if I can find it) but
have given up on dairy.
Valerie

I've had less-than-great luck with the tablets, though they're useful for
eating the odd bowl of store-bought ice cream. McNeil used to make a liquid
lactase that could be used to treat milk, but they discontinued it about a
year ago. There is a manufacturer in Canada, Gelda Scientific, who do make
a liquid enzyme product called Lacteez. I not only treat my milk, but also
the evaporated milk I put in my tea & coffee, and the half & half I use to
make ice cream. Just treat it at least 24 hrs before you plan to use it.
I've been using it with no problems, though you should probably check with
them to verify that it is gf (I did, but formulations may have changed--I
bought a case and am working my way through it).They will do
mail/phone/e-mail orders. You can find the information on their web site at
<http://www.gelda.com/lactpage.htm>.

we have an allergy or intolerance to the casein , the protein in the milk.
If the lactose products are ineffective, either they are not gf and/or u dont
tolerate the casein either.
Sorry, but dairy consumption makes us feel awful and please know there are
products out there that are good and dairy free.

Good luck!
Suzanne
P.S.  We like to eat raspberry sorbet with bananas, chopped nuts and
hershey's chocolate drizzled on top.