From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:43:08 EDT

Hi to all,

Thank you all for your very timely responses to my panic attack about
Amoxicillin.
Two days later and I am no longer constipated, and have moved on to the kind
of diarreah we celiacs are very familiar with.  My tummy is bloated like a
pregnancy and I don't feel very comfortable, but it is better than it was
before.

The pharmacist said that Amoxicillin both in the generic and non-generic is
absolutely GF, as also pointed out in the Stokes Pharmaceutical Guide.  I
called the surgeon who said that Amoxicillin is the preferred drug for
salivary gland infection.  I am going to deal with it and just get through it
somehow.  Just for information, some of you recommended some lovely ideas,
both for antibiotics which you have used, or remedies:

GF antibiotics:  Amoxicillin and Amoxicillin Plus, Vantin, Keflex, Levatin

Remedies:  Avoid yeast infection from damage to normal intestinal flora
(ladies) by taking (either home made or store bought) live culture yogurt.
Take some digestive enzymes.  Eat garlic and parsley.

Here is one list members wonderful home made yogurt recipe:

I sterilize all my utensils first. Then I use a combination of cream and milk
(any combination you like. It's really good with all cream but extremely rich
tasting and filling) heating the mixture just until bubbles form on the sides
of the pan. Cool to room temperature (I usually put the pan in the
refrigerator to do this.) Then mix in one half pint of plain, unsweetened,
unflavored, active culture yogurt. (Says live yogurt culture on the side.)
Pour into a hot thermos and set in a warm place, undusturbed for 24 hours.
After that, refrigerate it.

Often I make a large batch, for I have 3 kids who love yogurt. To do this, I
put a little water in my crock pot, and a cereal bowl in there. Then I pour
the cream/yogurt mixture into a large tupperware container that fits inside
the crock pot. I turn on the crock pot, and turn it off and on during the 24
hour incubation period, so that it doesn't cook the yogurt, just keeps it
warm. This time of year, setting it on the counter in the thermos works just
great though. If you have a warming tray, you could cover it with a couple
thicknesses of bath towels and use that to keep the yogurt slightly warm.

Serve plain or drizzled with a touch of honey, and a handful of fresh
berries. My kids also enjoy a fruit smoothie made with the yogurt in a
blender.

I also got many replies telling of their own antibiotic horror stores; some
which had me on the floor laughing with tales of projectile diarreah, being
given seats on buses from looking so bloated they appeared pregnant, and much
more.  I guess if I can laugh I am on the mend.  My body just needs to
forgive me for this hideous intrusion, and I must make very sure that I don't
accidentally ingest any gluten during this time, which could lead to even
more disaster.

Thanks to you all.

Love and peace,

Libby