From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:42:21 -0600

Summary #1 was mostly technical/factual info.
Here is Summary #2  --  these are some of the more personal responses.
I will be sending a copy of both summaries to my son.

- Whenever my son (who is biopsy diagnosed with celiac) eats gluten he gets
terrible canker sores in his mouth and I've been told that if you look up
canker sores in the Canadian medical resource books, celiac disease is
listed as one of the causes.

- My son is almost eight and has had several breakouts since 6 months old
that sound very similar.  When he was very young we would end up in the
emergency room because of the sores.  He would not eat at all when he had
these.  As he got older he would say his throat hurt and we would take him
for a strep test and they would discover the sore in his mouth and all the
way down his throat.  Last October after a year of a very bad skin rash we
ended up at a Dermatologist who diagnosed him with Dermatitis Herpatiformis.
This led us to a GI ( no intestinal symptoms)  who did the blood work and a
endoscopy that resulted in a diagnosis of Celiac disease.  We have been
gluten free for almost a year now and only once have the sores in his mouth
showed up.  In our case it was after he had accidentally been exposed to
gluten.

- This is such a dangerous disease and the mainstream medicine just
continues to use the same inadequate tests and measurement of it. Maybe your
son will experience enough pain early so that he will finally just do it
before something else happens. I hope something will happen to convince him.

- As you and your son can now see, returning to gluten causes big problems,
and as in your son's case, it took a bit of time for the
breakdown of tissue to occur. Return to a strict gf diet forever.  I hope
that it will take care of  the problem.  Not to overly scare you, but it is
known that repeated exposures can cause the body not to heal completely,
even after returning to a gf diet.  For compliance, your son should think of
gluten as if it were "rat poison", for that is what it is like for a celiac.
It slowly destroys the body's tissues.

- Personally, I think you have your answer as to what is causing his
horrible mouth sores---GLUTEN!  I know that the general consensus from all
angles says that in order to be a true Celiac you must have an "official
diagnosis".  I am one of many who disagree with that----but in the case of a
teenager, you should definitely do the "official" testing---unless he is
enjoying his mouth full of sores.  In fact, one of the symptoms my son had
from gluten were the same huge, horrid, painful mouth sores from the time he
was about 2 until diagnosed at 10.  Interestingly enough, NOT ONE mouth sore
since going GF 2 years ago in a boy who ALWAYS was plagued with these
painful nuisances.

- The blood tests are so inaccurate and in fact if the small intestine is
not damaged enough to produce blood the blood tests cannot diagnose the
disease.  That isn't to say however that the body isn't being attacked in
multiple other places.

- Although lesions in the oral mucosa are rare, there are reports of oral
lesions occurring early in the stages of dermatitis herpetiformis.
http://autoimmune-skin-disorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/dermatitis_herpetiformis

- Quite nicely, I would tell him to stop experimenting and stay off the
luten. Cankor sores are a symptom of gulten intolerance.  Not everyone has
severe outward reactions with small amounts of injestion, and he could just
finally be reacting to the build up of poisons in his body. The reactions
are internal and may not show up until the body cannot tolerate any more.
Somehow, the body will eventually tell you - stop!! and treat me right.  I
know it is very difficult for young adults sometimes, but he really needs to
stay on the diet so he doesn't cause further harm to himself.

- Before I went on a gluten and casein free diet, I had multiple outbreaks
of terrible mouth sores.  I had a couple episodes that were so painful I
could barely eat.  I've had not a single mouth sore since being GF/CF (four
years ago).   Hope this helps.  Those suckers are so painful!

- I thought that I was the only one that had that happen!  I don't know if
your son's sores are from the 'overload' but I always get canker sores when
I get gluten in my diet.  In fact, I went a year without one and then tried
to eat some wheat again and sure enough, canker sores galore.  I also had
swollen glands, my throat hurt, my neck hurt, etc. but I think it was from
all the pain in my neck and it radiates all over.

- I can't help much, only to say that my son is gluten sensitive, when he
gets exposure to a tiny amount of gluten he is likely to get a secondary
sinus infection and strep. He was always on antibiotics until he went gluten
free 1 year ago. Then he stopped needing antibiotics.

- Really bad canker sores were a problem for me at periods throughout my
life, and then very bad when I got very sick with celiac. I know that today
I had many symptoms of celiac from childhood. Before I knew of my celiac, I
did a lot of reading up about mouth sores, and canker sores are, imho,
serious sign of autoimmune disease. It is a major factor with HIV. I do not
consider them a simple problem at all, and any of us who have had them and
the pain do not. Whenever I get an accidental gluten hit today, or when I
get too much soy, of which I am allergic, I get cankers.

- Sounds like he is having a major gluten attack on his immune system.  I
doubt he has canker sores.  It is probably Herpes or yeast infection.  He is
going to be looking at a long healing process.

- This sounds strangely familiar. I went through a  phase where I was
"expermenting" with low gluten products and I had the same disasterous
results in my mouth. One sore became a "hole" that was large enough to put
my tongue in.

- He may not think his body is reacting to gluten since his stomache does
not hurt, but gluten is a poison to him and it is destroying his villi and
his body's ability to fight off other auto-immune diseases. (hence, the
canker sores.)  I hope in some way this has helped and while he is probably
miserable - I hope he understands that this is his bodies way of telling
him - gluten is still and always will be off limits to him.

- Mouth sores (canker sores) are a known symptom of autoimmune disease. The
mouth is part of the digestive tract.  You could point out to your son that
what's happening in his mouth might very well be happenning in his
intestines also.  The teen years are very difficult for a celiac.  Hope
things get better.  (My mouth sores didn't clear up until I had cut out not
only gluten and dairy, but soy also!)

- Keep in mind that teenagers often go through a "remission" with regard to
Celiac symptoms.  Even if he has no reaction to gluten he shouldn't consume
it.  It's still doing damage even if he doesn't feel it.  I can't say I
blame him for the binge. It must have felt very liberating in the moment.

- My mouth gets completely covered in ulcers/canker sores when I ingest
gluten.  I recommend he go back to the GF diet.

- I am sure you have had lots of responses already that have stated this,
but I'd be sure your son's mouth sores are related to the gluten he has
ingested. I lived with canker sores when I was eating gluten and before I
was diagnosed. My son has gone gluten free off and on because he is
intolerant, but he's a teenager and is not really ready to give up gluten
yet. (He usually stops eating gluten for a while when he develops a DH rash
on his torso.) He lives with canker sores when he is eating gluten. Steroids
might
help them keep them at bay a bit, but they won't get rid of them while he is
eating gluten. It's my understanding that the sores are an autoimmune
reaction caused by whatever is disturbing your immune system, in this case
most likely gluten.

- Hoof and mouth disease presents with the same symptoms.  This is a virus
and will go away in about two weeks.

*******
*******