From:
Richard Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 04:49:07 +0000

Although I am currently not receiving messages from the list - time
constraints - I thought that you may be interested in a recent experience my
wife (a celiac) and I had.  Besides, I promised in a letter to the president
of TWA that I would publish the following paragraph, a quote that was in a
letter that we sent to him.

"The second problem we encountered had to do with the food. No, it is not
the quality of food but the fact that my wife has celiacs disease and cannot
eat any product with any form of wheat, rye, barley or oats. In making the
arrangements for her meals we had to speak with ticketing agents, who,
although very nice and cooperative could not help other than to suggest the
fruit platter. They know nothing about digestive problems or special diets
other than there is a listing of special diets for diabetics, kosher, and a
few other popular dietary restrictions (even those are a crap shoot, try
finding out what the kosher meal - often gluten free - will be a few weeks
ahead of time).  We could not talk with the caterer. In fact, the agents did
not admit to knowing who caters TWA's meals. Now for the fun part.

I ordered the fruit platter for my wife. I was not told that it came with a
(wheat flour) bun, a piece of cake, and a granola bar whose principal
ingredient was oats! "

TWA has NO knowledge of gluten free meals. The only people we were able to
speak with were the telemarketing agents, none of whom knew what pasta was
made from.

Luckily on the firstleg of the trip my wife had taken her own crackers. On
the return flight she brought her own sandwich makings.

TWA has offically been informed of the problem - assuming that the president
gets the message. But I wouldn't expect a change in the near future. Bottom
line...

fly TWA - bring your own food.

I promised to present updated information if TWA informs us of changes in
their feeding plans. However I don't think that I would hold my breath on
this one.

RB