From:
"Beth J. Hillson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:38:46 -0500

Hello All,

I would say that celiacs are passionate about their mushrooms!    It does
seem that a few people have an additional sensitivity to mushrooms due to
their relationship to mold and candida.  However, the concensus seems to be
that celiacs should not have a gluten reaction to mushrooms.
Here are a few more comments.
******
I eat shiitake mushrooms and occasionally button mushrooms with no problems.
Perhaps your customer was told that they are hard to digest so celiacs
should avoid them. My GI told me that a while back; he also said a lot of
people have mushroom allergies--never heard that before.
******
Also, people with celiac sometimes have candida or their symptoms can
immitate candida. I think people with candida are supposed to avoid
mushrooms. I've never had the problem myself, so I didn't investigate.
******
I wouldn't give up mushrooms unless I was having a problem with them.
Shiitakes are so good for you; their medicinal value is great and they're
delicious, too.
******
My coeliac wife eats them regularly.  David (UK)
******
I became horrifically ill from a portabello mushroom about 2 years before I
was diagnosed with celiac. Symptoms were akin to violent food poisoning, but
without going into details, I know it wasn't. After diagnosis with celiac I
did hear that some celiacs can develop a sensitivity to mushrooms. Sorry, I
can't remember where I learned this or what substance it is in the mushroom
that is problematic. I won't go anywhere near the things since that
traumatic experience, so no need to ask me if I still have the same
reaction.
******
Because of so many antibiotics that are used this makes  mold a  big one,
the  more delayed  one s diagnosis also. I have this and MCA, I don't think
people with celiac get tested for allergies like mold, some just put it to
getting gluten but  mold causes sinus infection and numerous other
illnesses.
******
I've never heard of celiacs not eating mushrooms and I've eaten plenty of
them!  no problems.
******
I can't eat them.  THey give me a belly ache.  But my two celiac sons
can.

Beth Hillson
Gluten-Free Pantry
800-291-8386 ext. 101