From:
Nancy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:05:35 -0700

Thanks for all the ideas about a gf challah.  Here is
the summary.

1)I was doing some searching on the internet and found
the following:

http://www.celiacawareness.org/Links/Food_and_Recipes/108/
(a list of GF websites and links on the internet)

http://www.chebe.com/recipes.htm
(Chebe Bread mixes--looks fun!  Maybe
you could even make a Challah out of it?)

http://www.glutenfree.com/passover_recipes.htm
(Passover Recipes---still no Challah recipes, here)

http://www.food-management.com/article/13348/
(Gluten-Free Challah---at last!)

http://www.geocities.com/red6012002/six.html
(Six Braid Bread---looks easy and fun, too!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30167,00.html
(HONEY CHALLAH BREAD WITH CURRENTS. . .just substitute
w/ GF flour)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_2807,00.html
(BISTRO CHALLAH BREAD. . .just substitute the w/ GF
flour)

http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=64&sid=91hH9H1Ut7Nw7vP-22106047183.a0
(GLUTEN-FREE JEWISH RECIPES)

Hope these work for you.  This is all that I have
found so far.
I searched www.Celiac.com  & I searched
www.FoodTV.com

2)Nancy, you are not going to believe that this
challah is Gluten Free....I make it in the oven NOT in
a bread machine. Even my husband, who is not a Celiac,
thinks that it's outstanding.
It's called Tom's Light Gluten Free Bread Mix.....I
buy it on-line at www.glutenfreepantry.com
Here are some hints:
Brush the top with egg whites
Use 1 tablespoon LESS water than the directions tell
you
Bake for a full 40 minutes

3)Here is a good try & true recipe:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=54366.1
Here's an other one that I have not tried:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=53295.1

4)Bette Hagman's recipe worked in a bread machine, but
I never tried
braiding
it. I'm sure it would be fine in a loaf pan. It just
doesn't have the
consistency for braiding. I guess you could add more
flour as you roll
(with
your hands, not rolling pin) the strands you'd need to
braid it.
It's in her very first or second book.
Really fantastic challah. Better flavor than "real"
challah. Makes
terrific
French toast, too. When I've served it for company,
they favor it over
wheat
challah...even those who are critical of gf foods

5) there is one in The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread
cookbook by Bette  Hagman. I got it from Amazon.com
for $11.70.  Honey from Dumfries, VA

6)Hi Nancy -
this is my tried and true recipe for challah...I make
it all the time. You can't braid it, but sometimes I
do make it in a molded pan that, when flipped over
after baking, sort of looks braided. Mostly I make it
in small size rolls, since I'm the only GFer in my
home.
Sara Nussbaum

Sara Nussbaum’s GF Challah (Egg Bread)
Makes one large loaf, or 8 mini challahs

1 cup cornstarch
1 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
3 T almond meal
3 T xanthan gum
1 package red star quickrise yeast
1 t salt
3/4 t. dough enhancer (optional)
2 t. baking powder

1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
2 T dry potato flakes
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
3 eggs (extra large works best)
1 egg with water (optional, for glazing top of crust)

Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in heavy duty mixer
2. Dissolve potato flakes in warm water, and add
slowly to mixer
3. Add oil and honey
4. Add eggs and mix until blended
5. Beat on High speed for 5 minutes
6. Spoon batter into 9x5 inch greased loaf pan (I use
Pam spray) (OR, divide equally into 8 english muffin
tins, presprayed with PAM)
7. Smooth top surface of batter using WET hand
8. Let rise in warm place for about 45-60 minutes,
covered with towel
(I turn my oven on warm for 30-60 seconds, turn off,
then use as warm place for rising)
9. Brush with egg wash, if desired (1 egg, add
tablespoon water – mix)
10. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes
(if using mini challahs, bake for 25 minutes)

calories: 2735 per loaf. If cut into 22 thin slices,
about 125 calories per slice

7) Challah_braided_bread.doc (22k) [Preview]

8)No recipe but, I buy my challah from Everybody Eats
in Brooklyn, NY..They deliverer..Expensive but,
incredible...DEB

I have no connection with them..Just love their food!
 :)