From:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:19:49 -0800

There has been a lot of discussion regarding oats in the past few
months - looking like it was possibly OK to add to our celiac diet.
So, we decided to give it a try. Our daughter is the one with celiac.

I made some granola at first using McCann's Oatmeal and other GF
grains. There were no reactions except that her stools was slightly
softer, I'm sure due to the increased fiber. She ate regular oatmeal
and/or granola one to three times weekly. Normally she is really
sensitive to anything that is not GF. As a child she would vomit
within 2 hours of eating even one bite of anything with gluten. She
is now in her twenties and now whenever she has had a GF accident,
she has gotten nauseated, had abdominal pains and cramps and just
felt sick all over. Since there were no such symptoms with the oats,
she continued eating them.

It was over three months that slowly her stools became softer -
sometimes diarrhea, with a foul odor. Gas became a huge problem with
also a very foul odor, plus she complained of stomach pains / feeling
bloated. She became very tired and got two colds within a 2-3 week
period. We decided that since no other changes in her diet had
happened, we would stop all oats. The signs and symtoms she was
having were similar to celiac problems.

Now its been 5-6 weeks since she has been off of oats and it isn't
till now that her stools are finally normalizing and the gas is
decreasing. She is also starting to feel better. During the time she
stopped oats, it seemed like dairy was a problem as well. Stools were
burning her and at one time there seemed to be a very small amount of
blood in the stool - probably due to the acidity of the stools. She
has seen an MD to follow up but no blood in her stool at that time.

Our surmizing is that oats may or may not be OK for some, but for us
however it is not. I don't know if oats are really GF or not, even
with all the discussions, but for whatever reason, our daughter
developed celiac symptoms over a period of time - whether its due to
the oats or possibly contamination of the oats. For us, it will be a
very long time before oats will be tried again. It's just not worth
the symptoms and the possible damage to her intestines. We were so
hoping to be able to add this grain to her diet, but at this point,
we will not be able to.

Hope this information has been helpful for some.