From:
Catherine Shumadine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:48:46 -0500

It's been a while since I posted my query about my newly diagnosed 3-yr old
and her invite to a b-day ay Mickey D's (does anyone else call it that or is
it a New England thing?).  What with the holidays, a week-long visit 1/2 way
across the country w/ in-laws, etc., all this got shoved to the back
burner...but today the party itself actually happened, so it's high time I
provide a response summary.

1.  McD's is almost unanimously voted the most reliable, easiest place to
which you can take your GF kid(s).  Their company policy mandates they
separate fry oil for the potatos (hash browns and french fries), meat
patties have no filler, condiments are ok, McFlurrys (w.M&Ms) and vanilla
shakes are ok, too.  Most people recommended I check to make sure that the
dedicated fryers are kept that way at the individual restaurant.

2.  One person nonetheless had, themselves, had reactions to eating there,
even the GF stuff, and will never eat there again.

3.  Several directed me to the McD's website, where there is a helpful food
allergy/sensitivity ingredient chart for all their products.  At the
eleventh hour, another member,writing to the list, has reminded us that the
website has changed to say "wheat-free" instead of "gluten-free" and the
company needs to address this.

4. Actual party-- thanks to everyone who told me to stick to my guns and say
"no bun, nope, none at all, just meat."  Next time I'll know to say "and put
it in a Happy Meal so my kid'll get one w/everone else instead of waiting
for 'just fries' which never came."  She was pretty bummed out about it, and
we did leave early, as the cake appeared, but I could tell it would be years
before anyone showed up w/her ice cream dessert instead.

5. But the best advice, from several people, was that at these parties all
the kids are too excited about running around w/each other and climbing on
the playplace to really care about the food.  True!  Give 'em a balloon and
they're happy....

Thanks for all of the helpful replies I got-- and I look forward to quizzing
you all for some time to come! :)

Catherine
in Maine