From:
Abi Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abi Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:49:42 -0700

Hello everyone!  It has been ages since I have posted to the list.  I
have been very busy these days.  But I have a poll I would like the
members to respond to.

I might be out of touch on this issue.  I know I am not the only person
here who doesn't trust vinegars distilled from gluten grains.  (A long
time ago I got emails from a number of people concerned about this
topic when statements from various sources stated that there would be
no gluten in the distilled product.)

I know the topic is controversial.  But I think it is important for all
of us to know where we personally stand on this this issue.

I have posted a poll in the Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group forum.
 And I would like to have as many people reply as possible so we know
what people think about this.

It isn't meant to be scientific.  It is meant to show what people think
about it personally, and it has nothing to do with what may or may not
be scientifically true. (The debate has been over whether there is
anything left in the distilled product that might cause reactions in
people with celiac disease - whether it be proteins, peptides, etc.
Supposedly, it is claimed that the proteins don't go into the distilled
product - so companies claim it is gluten free.)

If you wish to participate in the poll, please go the link below
(registration is free):

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=27760.1

For people without internet access, the question and choices are as
follows:

Where do you stand on vinegars distilled from gluten grains?

1.  I believe vinegar distilled from gluten grains are safe, unless
malted.

2.  I doubt that vinegar distilled from gluten grains are safe and
avoid them.

I will post an update sometime next week.

Thanks so much!  I would appreciate knowing what people think about
this these days.

Abigail Bergeron
(formerly Neuman)