From:
Karla Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karla Ainsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:38:25 -0600

Many of you out there do grind your flours.

I found that you use.
White Basmati
Brown Basmati
Long Grain
White Beans
Almonds
Lentils
Brown Rice (www.lundberg.com) bought in #25.
Regular white rice

Machines to grind in are:
I have The Kitchen Machine by K-tec www.K-TecUSA.com
Coffee Grinder purchased at Target www.target.com
Retsel flour Mill www.retsel.com
Vita Mix blender doing only small amounts and letting it cool between runs.www.vitamix.com
 Whisper Mill www.pleasanthillgrain.com
An ancient hand grinder
Tips:
The  advantage is that when you make flour from parboiled rice, your pancakes and waffles will not taste sandy. Also it replaces bread crumbs. Fried chickens and fish are much better with this flour than Kentucky Fried chicken. They are crispy outside and tender inside. Also we mix it with eggs and adding to hamburger. It is better, because holds good together and doesn't shrink when frying.

A half teaspoon of Zanthan gum, one cup of rice flour and one cup of tapioca
flour mixed works fine for me in any recipe.

Mix  flours, like, brown rice, sweet rice, corn starch and sometimes tapicoa.  Don't put tapicoa in your machine because it will clog it up.

I found the asian flour I purchase is finer, makes better bread, but I have trouble with cookies and
cake.  The cake is soft and good, but doesn't raise very high.
Definately cheap though.

I just buy my rice flour in an Asian Store.
16 oz.   65¢ to 98¢   I also purchase my tapicoa, potato starch also there.
I have no problems with it at all.

Grind small white beans into flour, and the flour is much less beany in recipes than the garbanzos, and more like wheat in their cooking properties.

I am not promoting any of the products listed above. I personally have used the K-tec and the Bosch Whisper Mill before CD they both worked fine with wheat but haven't tried them yet with rice or other grains. I have a new k-tec and will try it today. Thanks for all the replies.
Karla