From:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:15:59 -0400

~Check out www.glutenreactivity.net   (Another name for that website is
www.glutensensitivity.net  )   This website specifically discusses testing
issues and includes info that is not available elsewhere.

FYI,

IgA, IgG, IgM, IgE, and IgD are different types of antibodies in various
locations in the immune system.

IgA is prevalent in the mucosal surfaces of the body exposed to the outside
such as the gut.

IgG is a very general and prevalent type

IgM tends to the the first to appear and the first to disappear

IgE is associated with "true allergy" such as bee sting, peanut, or asthma
type reactions.

IgD Very little is known about IgD.

Sometimes more than one location must be checked in an individual in order
to find evidence of antibody activity.  Unfortunately standard tests do not
check all the options named above due to financial considerations, lack of
clinical research, and because this field is in it's infancy.  There may be
other reasons also.

Not only are the above places in the immune system not being properly
addressed in testing, but there are more antibodies to look for in all those
places than standard panels test for.  Most panels only test for gliadins
(AGA) which are antibodies to wheat and for tTG, with is specific to only
certain gluten related reactions that are subsets of the gluten reactivity
picture.

For instance, gluteomorphin antibodies are rarely checked.  They are
antibodies to gluten.

AGA-tTG antibodies can also be present and only one lab checks for them.

WE MAY NOT JUST HAVE AGA (GLIADIN or wheat) ANTIBODIES.  Some do not make
gliadins at all but they make some of the other antibodies.

So if AGA-IgA and IgG antibodies and/or tTG-IgA antibodies are the only
antibodies checked many people who do not make those antibodies in those
locations but who do make gluteomorphins or AGA-tTG in the IGG or IgM
locations, will be missed.  There may be more antibodies to check that have
not been discovered yet.

There are several labs that do check more antibodies and more tests are
supposedly coming available again this week.  Check the
www.glutenreactivity.net website, on the "Testing" and "Lab Charts" page for
more details on these tests.

Another issue addressed on that website is crossreactions between gluten
related antibodies and many other foods and tissues in the body.  If you
have positive tTG-IgG there may be gluten present or other foods and
substances that are affecting the tTG levels by crossreaction or by other
damaging means.  tTG is considered to be an indicator of damage, although
not all damaging gluten related reactions involve tTG according to some
researchers.

The labs that test for more antibodies in more places in the immune system
are Neuroimmunology Labs (formerly Immunosciences Laboratories), Optimum
Health Resources Labs, and ALCAT labs.  They are covered on the website and
more test panels will be posted this week.

~I just had bloodwork from Immunolabs to test for food sensitivities.  They
use blood and test for antibodies (reactions) to over 300 foods.  The test
is an IGG antibody.  I do have celiac, but I think due to leaky gut
syndrome, my immune system reacts to other foods, too.  I got back a nice
booklet all about food sensitivities and a plan of how to get better.
Apparently, the way it works is to avoid those foods according to the degree
of sensitivity for specific lengths of time to allow the gut to heal and
then re-introduce them back on a limited basis.  I can eventually eat those
foods but have to watch my reactions and not get over-exposed to them or
I'll develop the reaction, which I believe would be the IGG.  This is not to
be confused with food  ALLERGIES.  I am not allergic to these foods, but my
system is sensitive to them.  I just started eliminating some of the foods
on the list and I do feel better.  It will take quite some time to get
through all this as it requires a stricter diet for me than just avoiding

gluten.

*******
*******